• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone know this Bobbed Deuce?

ODdave

Ok, So the guy with the screen name of where the guy he is asking about lives in a city different than the one of his screen name, so who lives in Mmeridith?aua

A

A/C Cages

ApopkaFL he is almost your neighbor. lol
Ive never seen it around town myself but then again I dont hang aound Orlando area much at all.

mmeridith

I just got it last week :p, needs some TLC and few "upgrades" but it runs great. Have not been out on the town yet, still waiting on insurance to get it registered & tagged. Don't need the popo stopping me driving around on my trailer tag...

Need a new set of wheels with proper backspacing, these don't sit out far enough and rub the draglink & upper shock mounts when turning.

treeguy

Aghhhhh! that stinks about the wheel rub, they look nice. How about longer studs and a 1/2" thick plate (or whatever) between the hub and the rim. The plate could be drilled for the 6 hole pattern and placed between the axle hub and the wheel rim and using longer studs it would all suck in together........giving you more space.

I just thought of this..........why wouldn't it work? If you just need a little then a round plate of the proper thickness might work. How does this simple idea sound to everyone else, just a quick idea.

treeguy

Wow, thats a lot!

It almost seems that if you look at your truck wrong the fronts will rub just sitting there! What size tires are those? You don't seem to have much room for articulation in the front. How much tire would be outside the fenders if you could flip them around? Meaning, make the outside face you have now into the inside - touching the axle hub.

mmeridith

The current wheels are modified 5 ton combat wheels (2 piece 20"x10") that have had the centers cut and rewelded. The wheel shop welded the new centers at the same backspace as the originals, 1.5" from the front & 8.5" from the back. In looking at other deuce rims that members have modified, I need to have 5" from the front.

If anyone is bulding modified HEMTT wheels for a deuce, please pm me... I need a set. :D

mmeridith

Wow, thats a lot!

It almost seems that if you look at your truck wrong the fronts will rub just sitting there! What size tires are those? You don't seem to have much room for articulation in the front. How much tire would be outside the fenders if you could flip them around? Meaning, make the outside face you have now into the inside - touching the axle hub.

53" Goodyear AT-A2's. The previous owner had them mounted on modified street wheels with 3.5" backspace and had no clearance issues, but the lip on the original wheels failed so he had these made up. Did not realize the backspace issue or rub problem until I called him to figure out how to fix it.

I'm not going to be out rock climbing or busting trails down here in Florida, so no need for much articulation. If I have any fender rub after getting wheels with the correct backspacing then I will get some lift blocks and longer u-bolts to deal with that.

treeguy

It seems to me that when the rim company was hired to modify the 5t wheels that who ever didn't do enough research to find that a 5t is different than a 2.5t and needs different back spacing. And in my humble opinion, it seems as if some one was greedy and went with gigantor tires that can't really function unless you suspension lift the truck.

I am stuck in the - "can't find an affordable machinist to do work for me" problem. I have 395's and FMTV wheels that need work. It seems that this tire size it the largest without rubbing (with the proper back spacing).

Search around, but there are accurate measurements on here for fitting certain size tires. The 395's that I'm going to run will have 8.88" (inside rim edge to inside plate face) or 3 3/4" from the outside face rim lip to the outside face hub center. But again this is for FMTV wheels and I don't know if HEMTT wheels have the same gigantor rim lip.

mmeridith

I met with the prev owner today, he is working on another bobber and has another set of 5t wheels that he has not modified yet that he is going to use on it. We talked about the backspacing and made some measurments on the 5t wheels and came up with a solution. We are going to have new disks made up to go inside the back of the 5t wheel, push out the studs, cut the axle bolt holes out, install the plate and push the studs back in and test fit... This set up will give us 5.5" of BS from the font lipand should solve the issue.

I have called all the machine & fabrication shops within 50 miles of me and no-one wants to touch my wheels. I do not have the proper equipment to do the work myself or I would.

BTW, I was able to break the welds on the turn stop bolts and adjust them out so that I have no rubs in turns now, but i still want to widen the stance a little with proper BS'd wheels.

Last edited:

mmeridith

Thanks for all the assistance from everyone, I appreciate it. My 7yo son wants to sleep out in our new toy every night since I brought it home.

m782gear

Greedy??

It seems to me that when the rim company was hired to modify the 5t wheels that who ever didn't do enough research to find that a 5t is different than a 2.5t and needs different back spacing. And in my humble opinion, it seems as if some one was greedy and went with gigantor tires that can't really function unless you suspension lift the truck.

I am stuck in the - "can't find an affordable machinist to do work for me" problem. I have 395's and FMTV wheels that need work. It seems that this tire size it the largest without rubbing (with the proper back spacing).

Search around, but there are accurate measurements on here for fitting certain size tires. The 395's that I'm going to run will have 8.88" (inside rim edge to inside plate face) or 3 3/4" from the outside face rim lip to the outside face hub center. But again this is for FMTV wheels and I don't know if HEMTT wheels have the same gigantor rim lip.
Comments like this is the reason I stopped using this site.