• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone know what these are for?

WvGibson

I took some pictures while doing an oil change today on the Deuce and was wondering what these "levers" function.

The first two pictures are of the Ip. I have looked around at other trucks and other Injector pumps, but mine is the only one that has an extra lever, governor, and cable. Excuse the oil, I spilled some when draining the filters. I fallowed the cable back to the back of the cab beside the t-case. It looks to be simply cut off there and dead ends. I haven't moved the lever on a the Ip because of cable getting stuck or scared it will harm the ip. I'm curious what's it's for and why mine has it?

The third picture is of a lever behind the park brake. It's in the corner of the cab beside the driver. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe a dump truck at one time.
Lever in corner of cab driver side but not sure just guessing

Woodsplinter

I believe the lever behind the parking brake has something to do with a winch (I don't have a winch truck) or some other type of equipment. Is it possible the "cut off" cable was attached to that lever? Is there some cable hanging off the lever below the cab?

WvGibson

No. The level runs towards the center of the cab, I can't see any linkage beyond that. However, it does have a hydraulic pump on the rear pto. That pto runs off the t-case. There is no linkage to the pump, and the lines are bypassed. Could that lever, once up on a time functioned the pump for a dump bed? I didn't know 2 and 1/2 tons had dumps. Mine has a front winch that runs off the transmission pto.

Jeepsinker

It could have been a dump truck, light wrecker, maybe a water or fuel tanker too. I can't imagine what the extra cable would be for though unless the powered rear implement fueled and governed itself through that cable once in operation.
Maybe an auger truck?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does your data tag on the dash say?

Is your truck standard wheel base?

Is your frame "doubled"?

Do you have a standard spare wheel mount?

What does the rear of your frame look like?

What year is your truck?

Browsing through a parts TM might help you identify the cable.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It was probably a pump or something that needed the idle remote controlled.

Not no more!

Let me know if you want to sell the Tcase pto.

WvGibson

The truck is a 1972 amg. It is single frame with the normal ndcc tires and duel tire tandems. It dose have the standerd spare tire under the bed on the drivers side. I can't find anything on the Id plate that would tell any secrets. I do have all the Tms in paper, like 4 three ring binders full... Came with truck. Nothing says a lot on this. The extra cable is hooked to a second lever on the injector pump. No connection between it and the throttle in the cab. I would like to pull the cable while running and so what happens? Think it would hurt anything?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I think what Doghead was asking is what is the Serial Number. I think, that he thinks, that I think, that he thinks it use to be a water or fuel truck. Just because it has a cargo bed on it doesn't mean it was originally made that way.

And where are you from in WV? The folks in the black SUV's already know you are where you are, I know where you are but the rest of the folks here don't know where you are. WV is a big place if you're in Huntington or Marlinton or Martinsburg or Wheeling or wherever. From you're other thread it is obvious you are totally green on these trucks. If you're close to another member, they can help in person and help you when something goes wrong.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was once a fuel or water truck. As far as I know, they were the only ones that had a governor cable. The cable at the IP originally went to the trnasfer case PTO. Does the data plate say M35A2? Is it hand stamped?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't recall if they were governed or not? My M108 wasn't. If it were an M60 it would have had the doubled frame.

WvGibson

That is true I'm green on this truck. I had an m818 a few years ago. I got this m35a2 truck mostly refurbished and 3 palates of parts. I just dug through the mountain of parts and found some linkage parts and now have the lever and pto hooked together. I'm still learning on this truck.

I live near Elkins, West Virginia and the avatar picture is of the truck, so I think it is coming along nicely.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
OHHHH!!! Country Club Road....OHHHH back in the old days..... And then there was this girl that lived near D&E College. But the one from Country Club Road.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQrapQ4d0Y

Time to get back on track, think, concentrate, concentrate...alright, I'm ok now. The serial number from the frame can answer the question on what type of truck it was. Each type of truck series has a well documented serial set. If you

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lever is to engage the transfer case PTO. The linkage going up to the IP is to throttle the truck up when the PTO is engaged.

Last edited:

todds112

Too wierd, I just noticed my, "new to me" truck has the PTO engagement lever too. So in cargo truck form, it doesn't do anything? All I found in the TM's so far is calling it the PTO engagement lever. Just to confirm, it doesn't have to be engaged to operate the winch, right?

Did the military change truck types, or are these home brew change overs?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That transfer case PTO has nothing to do with the winch. Lets test the memory here. Rear (transfer case)PTOs were used on the M60, M108, M49, M49A1, M49A2, M50, M50A1, M50A2, M50A3, V17A/MTQ, V18A/MTQ, M756A2 and on some M45s and M46s with decon bodies and other specialty bodies. Dumps did not use a transfer case PTO. I'm sure I've forgotten a couple of trucks for sure.

I had a Fuel tanker and it had those leavers. I think the guess about it being a fuel truck is right.. But then again, My Studebaker M45 has a pto and leavers it used to be a missile launching truck.

RayK

If you want to know what it was originally, get the NSN off the data plate - it will look like 2320-00-XXX-XXXX. Then look at TM 9-2320-209-10-1, pages 1-6 and 1-7. That has a list of all the NSN's and the type of truck - also see pages 2-22 and 2-23 for original weights and dimensions, etc.