• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

anyone make a custom winch bumper for their deuce????

snakeater

I have looked all around and I have seen only a few winch bumpers that were custom. I imagined somthing that would be a little closer to the body of the truck to make the winch not such a hood ornament. I am building a bobber, but mine has a winch and I plan to drive it alot. I am looking for something that is a little smaller and beefier. Ideas and help would be appreciated. snakeater

DanMartin

The winch is pretty close to the radiator in stock form....in fact, you a have to take off the lower rock guard. I bet there's less than 1" of space between the winch and the radiator.

Short of going with a different winch, I don't see any way to push it back any further...it's already tight.

snakeater

I will take a closer look at it tomorrow, but it seems like the front bumper could be moved in closer to the winch by deleting the portion that is directly in front of the winch . This would allow the front bumper to be reconfigured so that the winch is sticking out the front instead of the bumper. Maybe cut the frame rails back somewhat and fabricate new sides. This would at least give some savings out front and maybe add to the looks a bit. I will draw something up on CAD and play with it a little. I am sure that something can be done. Take a few notes from some of the designs on rock crawler trucks. Minimal works just as well as overbuilt. Deleting these parts will probably drop about 100 lbs or so as well, if not more. Truck will be int he shop tomorrow so that I can take a few measurements and get back with you. Snakeater

ATC

Maybe you can design something to mount the winch slightly below the radiator to save some "room" (overall length). Something like down 5" and back 5"...?

snakeater

Here is a rough draft of what I have come up with so far. Very simplistic, but usefull. I will try to use the factory bumper as a basis for this. By cutting it flush with the outside frame rails and moving it back tight to the body. Obviously welding in proper structure to support it. Then adding two fog lights, and a crossover bar in front of the grille to protect it. Then moving the shackle mounts and shackles to the bottom of the bumper where they can be more usefull when the truck is lifted up on 46's and bobbed. The sketch of what I am thinking of it below, let me know what you think. Save it if you like the idea for yourself, I don't have a problem with that. There are no dimesions on it for a reason, it is only a concept drawing. Not a schematic to build it. You can scale it using your winch as the standard and the outside of your front fender. Snakeater

Attachments