• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone on here use a Wagner spray gun?

L1A1

Was curious to know if anyone on here has used the wagner (or other brand) airless spay guns that are sold in the big box stores for painting a vehicle? I've used them to paint a house but not a vehicle. When I had access to one, I was using a pnumatic spray gun & got great results with it. That's not an option for me anymore though.

Matt

RAYZER

They tend to apply a high volume of paint compared to an automotive style spray gun,
If your going to use one to spray a vehicle, i recommend getting the lowest volume spray tip available for the application.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just scroll down and look at the similar threads that you should have found with a search(before posting).

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I painted my M146 trailer with one also using a battery an inverter as I have no power down at the barn, also used house paint mixed to 24087 from home depot. Used the hose to a 1/2 gal pail as it will go through the cup fast. #7

Last edited:

L1A1

Guys
Thanks for the useful replies. I sprayed a little "light stone" mixed at home depot today through a wagner power sprayer (no longer have a pnumatic capacity). The parts of the ferret that I sprayed came out looking real good.

Matt

Lonnie

I just painted my frame with one. Here is the good & the bad.

The Good...
Easy to use.
Covers a lot of area quickly.
Puts out a high volume of paint.

The Bad...
No pattern adjustment, so it is hard to direct to small areas. Had to touch up all the tight spaces with an air touch up gun. Used the round pattern nozzle for decent results.
It drips when held downward.
When nozzle gets clogged/overspray on it, it will squirt a big blob of paint out messing up your paint job. Clean it often.

Opinions....
If you just painted vertical surfaces, it would likely work pretty well. I would not suggest painting the hood with it unless you hang it vertically, or you will get drips in it.
Seems to work best if you spray continuously. Releasing the trigger at the end of each pass tends to clog the nozzle.

I suggest finding a pressure-pot style air type gun for best results. They will spray thick paint as it is forced out of the gun, only using the air to atomize it.
A gravity-feed style gun would be my second choice.

Last edited:

L1A1

Thanks for the replies guys. Since this thread, I've purchased one of the Wagner spray guns & painted my ferret. Looks good enough for Gov't work.....:). Later on this week, I'm going to use same gun on my house-though a different color will be shot.........

I have both a gravity feed & syphin(sp?) feed pnumatic spray guns. They're great it's just that I do not currently have a pnumatic capability here.
Matt