• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone put a camper on the back of a 7T MTVR?

Navy dude

That is so funny- my wife and I are going through all the same things, to include the idea of relocating the intake and exhaust for a pass-through.

The idea that we are working right now, does not involve doing that, but does involve cutting off the short vertical wall at the front of the bed.

Once the Jerry can mount was removed, the platform between the cab and bed appeared very inviting.

So we are looking at some aluminum scissor steps made by Brophy, that could be moved back and forth between two mounting brackets, one under the driver's door, and one under the platform between the cab and bed, so that our dog can access either.

We are considering making our "front door" on the front of the box, so that we would be able to step out our front door onto the platform, and then either enter the cab through the driver's door without descending to the ground, or use the Brophy stairs to reach the ground. Even when the stairs are not in place, we can still swing around and use the cab steps on the driver's side.

When the stairs are not in use, the only thing visible would be the two mounting brackets, and we would spray them to match the CARC camo.

Hope I explained that well...
Yeah, I had thought about the door idea as well, would be kind of like going from car to car on a train. I just bought 2 black GSS air ride seats off ebay so the passenger doesn't have to bounce around and then I could pull out the bench and original drivers seat and would have space for a rear cab door. I'll be interested to see what you come up with on the brophy stairs. One thing I thought of was using that space between cab and box for things like storage boxes, additional fuel tank, maybe a generator drawer, etc. I would try to make the sides of that area conform from the cab to the box so it looked like one unit. Another thing I envision might be a bifold supportable ramp door in the back for a UTV toyhauler type setup. it would have to bifold with some type of adjustable legs at midpoint because a single box height rear ramp would be too steep. Not sure about the black, grey, and potable locations. Man, I'm thinking in this economy if I lived anywhere near Elkhart Indiana I could probably find some smart guys that could slap together a great functioning RV box in no time and I wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel..... again.

Last edited:

MTVR

Yeah, I had thought about the door idea as well, would be kind of like going from car to car on a train. I just bought 2 black GSS air ride seats off ebay so the passenger doesn't have to bounce around and then I could pull out the bench and original drivers seat and would have space for a rear cab door. I'll be interested to see what you come up with on the brophy stairs. One thing I thought of was using that space between cab and box for things like storage boxes, additional fuel tank, maybe a generator drawer, etc. I would try to make the sides of that area conform from the cab to the box so it looked like one unit. Another thing I envision might be a bifold supportable ramp door in the back for a UTV toyhauler type setup. it would have to bifold with some type of adjustable legs at midpoint because a single box height rear ramp would be too steep.
We're becoming attached to the storage space under the two passenger seats.

And we're working on a drawbridge-style rear door powered by a pair of small ATV winches. It would serve as a rear deck when horizontal, and it would serve as at least the first section of a ramp to load and unload our motorcycles when depressed below horizontal...

Navy dude

We're becoming attached to the storage space under the two passenger seats.

And we're working on a drawbridge-style rear door powered by a pair of small ATV winches. It would serve as a rear deck when horizontal, and it would serve as at least the first section of a ramp to load and unload our motorcycles when depressed below horizontal...
I like it!

MTVR

I like it!
We're thinking about the "bifold" idea too, but with the two ATV winches supporting the first section, we don't think that we would need anything else to support the front of the second section.

If this concept graduates into a tri-fold arrangement, then we would need support legs at the junction between the second and third sections...

Last edited:

10isBestmm

Might be worth just buying the cargo corners that go into the isolocks and building it from scratch.
Or just buy a 20' and cut it down both length and height. Don't need the doors anyway.

That may be what I do.

10isBestmm

Anyone think a 2005 Bambi airstream will fit on the bed with the wheels off? Sits at 9'5"
Tires are ST225/75R15. If not I'll just have to go to Nest or Basecamp to guaranteed to be under the 8' without wheels.

Last edited:

Keefer 1983

I’m set on the same toy hauler rv idea was thinking about chopping up a 40’ container and extending the wheel base does anybody have an actual height of the roof of the truck I’m going to relocate intake and exhaust so not worried about that

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone think a 2005 Bambi airstream will fit on the bed with the wheels off? Sits at 9'5"
Tires are ST225/75R15. If not I'll just have to go to Nest or Basecamp to guaranteed to be under the 8' without wheels.
I have more times than once day dreamed about an Airstream mounted on an MV. Thought about it today while I went to get my 1088 from my other property. Looks like I need another carport first. If the Airstream was done so it's axles could be put back on for any reason it would still hold it's value.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks