• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone Running a 12v Winch?

Tance

I have a 12v Warn winch I'd like to install on my K30 dually, but am up against the 24 volt thing. I don't think a 24-12v converter will work cause the winch pulls up to 435 amps... and the last thing I want to do is run a third battery. Hate to wire it direct to one battery because of the unbalance-charging problems... I know Warn offers a 24v motor for my model but I think all the solenoids (4) would have to be replaced too. Anyone have a better idea? Thanks.

mangus580

You dont really have to worry about the balance on a CUCV because of the charging system. I run my snowplow off just one battery all the time.

I would be more worried about the load on that one battery during winching.

You are correct about having to change all the solenoids. Maybe it might be easier to find teh military winch (24v) and sell yours?

Tance

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll hook on to one battery like Maritimer and Mangus... it's not something I use very often so it should be OK. Thanks again.

Alredneck

Banned
How about using a humvee alternator and one extra battery, the humvee alt has a extra side for just 12V charging, I been thinking about doin this to my deuce to run 12V acc's and such. There has been discussion on whats involved in a thread somewhere in the archives. Maybe someone can post a link!

devilman96

mangus580 said:
Wow, I am amazed at the people who dont read the whole thread, or the heading that its under....

fat lady sings
Ditto on that!!!

We run dual gel cels on each 12V side of the trucks for a higher CC and RC from the battries. 4 battries fit on the stock bases nicely with a new hold down system... its a lot of amprage but to have and not need is far better than to need and not have!!!!

rockman

A friedn of mine used to use a 12v winch inthe back of his duece for pulling up logs into the bed. he just ran it off one battery and it did fine. Mighty slow unit he mounted a hydraulic one and ran it off the back of the PTO.

Bill, not Rob.

maritimer

Ditto on that!!!

We run dual gel cels on each 12V side of the trucks for a higher CC and RC from the battries. 4 battries fit on the stock bases nicely with a new hold down system... its a lot of amprage but to have and not need is far better than to need and not have!!!!
i wouldnt mind pics and stuff your batterys and set up i could use some extra amperage for some of the electric mods i haev planed over the winter

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks