• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone seen a halftrack with an automatic transmission installed?

ChrisHiggins

First let me explain why, 12 years ago I broke my back and have been stuck in wheelchair since. I just started a full frame up restoration on an M15A1 halftrack that I am going to rebuild to M3 specs. I would really like to figure out a way to be able to drive it when done. If possible I would like to go off the stock motor and keep it as original as possible. However I am also researching possible Cummings power plant. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts. Thanks

Attachments

salt6

Years ago a guy around here had one with a Cadillac engine and automatic transmission. So it can be done. You might need to fab up some motor mounts.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the site. Our halftrack ranks are growing!

I know nothing of the halftracks, but I'd be amazed if there wasn't a way to adapt an automatic to them. Simply a case of finding one that will physically fit and adapting it to whatever the engine ends up being (original, Cummins, etc.).

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I do not want to pry but since you mentioned being in a wheel chair I need to ask how you are going to operate the gas and brake pedal?[/QUOTE]

I would guess with HAND CONTROL LEVERS, just like some vans that are converted to hand controls.

pad_cdr

Good luck with the conversion -- are you looking for a full automatic (I'm thinking like in a car) or something more along the line of clutch free, hand operated shifting? It would be interesting to see the faces at DMV if you go to get handicapped plates for it :)

battlecr

I remember seeing an IDF halftrack up at the Portland convention. It had a little C series Cummins and an Allison AT Not sure what sure on the series Allison, maybe a MT653. Not sure how they mated up the transfer case.

Don G.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard and GREAT luck with your build! "Where's there's a will, there's a way!" Nice lookin shop ya got there too! WOW! Please keep us posted!
God bless,
Tony

ChrisHiggins

Throttle and brake are no problem. Already got a plan for that. Going to copy what I have in my pick up for the brake and I think the throttle control from my Polaris RZRXP set up will work well. It's just the shifting problem;) Been riding passenger for way to long in my M38 jeep. Any thoughts on a tranny from a M35A1? Really gonna draw some looks when I park it in a handicap spot;)

Moto4Life

Not sure if this can be done is this circumstance, but a lot of offroad race trucks are running manual transmissions with torque converters in place of the clutch. Might be something worth looking into. Have fun with the build!

quickfarms

Throttle and brake are no problem. Already got a plan for that. Going to copy what I have in my pick up for the brake and I think the throttle control from my Polaris RZRXP set up will work well. It's just the shifting problem;) Been riding passenger for way to long in my M38 jeep. Any thoughts on a tranny from a M35A1? Really gonna draw some looks when I park it in a handicap spot;)
Air actuated clutch. Put the controls on the shifter lever. Add a air cylinder in the linkage. You will need to add an air source. It really does not take a lot of force or stroke to work the clutch.

Another idea would be a hydraulic slave cylinder working off of a modified emergency brake lever. You would drive it like a twin stick. Pull lever to release clutch, move shifter, release lever to engage clutch.

The rock crawlers use a lot of hand controls. Brake and throttle are very common and commercially available. I fabricated hand controls for my jeep when I used to commute in bumper to bumper traffic every day.

I sometimes get strange looks when I park my M38A1 in the handicapped spots. A duece should be interesting and you can just buy a M35A3 with the auto already in it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
What about the old "Slushbox" transmissions that were in the older deuces (M211)? I think Memphis Equipment has NOS ones in the crate. It would come closer to what might have been installed in one by the military.

"The GMC M211 was the “Cadillac of deuces” in many ways, especially for its day. Besides being equipped with what was basically a Cadillac 4-speed automatic transmission, the G-749 family of vehicles were painstakingly designed and engineered by General Motors in the hope that they would be a permanent replacement for the rugged and dependable CCKW 2-1/2 ton trucks of WWII. Patton Museum, via David Doyle"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks