• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone skeptical of trans oil dipstick readings?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple months ago I cracked one of the transmission cooler lines, and drove at least a few miles with it leaking quite steadily. You know how if you turn on the kitchen faucet just to the point where it stops dripping and starts running in a thin continuous stream? It was leaking like that... for at least a couple miles (not sure how long before I found it, but ~3 miles after), and I could see the trail on the road for a couple days afterward. In the course of changing the lines, I dumped at least a quart or two of ATF (~1-2 inches deep in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket).

I went and bought several gallons of ATF, figuring that I had leaked quite a bit. I put back in exactly 1 gallon of ATF and it was reading full on the dipstick again. I've driven it around, in case there was a bubble or something that needed to settle out. I've checked it several times since, and it still reads full.

I just don't know how it could have leaked so little. Has anyone ever had the dipstick reading be significantly off, or had any other issue that caused it to be very wrong?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks