• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone tow with their deuce?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
alphadeltaromeo said:
I have perhaps a silly question...but I'll ask it anyway. Bjorn, have you ever used the k-boom to push down on the ground to lift the deuce up to change a tire or is that not even possible?
Not the way you suggest Andy, the hydraulic outriggers will lift the truck easily, I use the boom as a counter weight to lift front or rear as needed, though. The outriggers are almost at the center, so it works like a balance.
The K-boom lets me store the spare tire at any place, in trailer or on the bed, where it can be reached and handled.

Boom is also useful to move the CG to one side or the other on side slope driving, like a backhoe would.

Image below shows it in use to work on the 8x8 along the interstate. Second image shows how spare tire can be placed behind cab.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
if you plan on going somewhere comfortably and quickly buy a powerstroke instead of a deuce.
Or a Dodge Cummins/ Chev Duramax. Bjorn, show Andy the pic of the 3 legged critter when you swapped it from the Int to the deuce.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have mentioned before the intention of full disc's all around , and power steering. I understand there is no ax dvd etc. Anyone who thinks there is is a retard. I am not saying to do any chip etc because I am not a novice mechanic as to what can and can't be done.
Brakes are not the problem.
Power steering is a luxury for the fit.
The only chips carry guns. JimK

jblack6527

ProJunkRacing said:
I guess you didn't understand that I know they are not a caddy toy hauler. I have mentioned before the intention of full disc's all around , and power steering. I understand there is no ax dvd etc. Anyone who thinks there is is a retard. I am not saying to do any chip etc because I am not a novice mechanic as to what can and can't be done. I have browsed this forum since 05 , and it is the place for duece questions. I am a Pirate4x4 nut , and if I want rock crawling talk I go there. I just am looking for the most possible information relating to a truck i would like. If it won't do 60 then so be it. I just want to know I can keep up and not make myself a hazard while driving that's all .
I understand what you're saying, but from all that I have read, these trucks don't like to go fast, loaded or not. Even if you were to put discs all around, without an engine swap, you're not really going to need them. If you are wanting to pull a trailer with 2 or 3 trucks as you said earlier, I would suggest getting a tractor type truck, I think it would be a little more practical.

FreightTrain

Banned
Changing the engine won't really make it any better.You might gain a little extra speed but whatever engine you put in it will be turning some major RPMs.You can get away with a small V8 engine but I doubt it will last long with the weight of the truck and high RPM.The deuce was designed for slow speeds,Low horse power,decent torque.6.72 axle ratios that cannot be changed without having someone custom machine gears or changing the axles completely out for Civilian axles.Only option you have if you want to keep up with traffic,haul 2 or 3 trucks,and do it safely over long distances is Peterbilt,Kenworth,Freightliner,Mack,Volvo,White/GMC,Marmon,Autocar,Ford,IHC,Dodge,GMC...........

FreightTrain

Banned
yea,you get get to 55 faster but for a motor large enough to survive lugging around 14000lbs of truck your stuck with around the same RPM band.Larger the engine the lower the RPM.Our trucks are Gear bound.You can run 1000Horse power but your still gonna turn 2600RPM at 50MPH with stock tires or 55 or 60 with larger tires.Horsepower doesn't change the RPM required to turn the tires at a spacific speed.

alphadeltaromeo

I think more than anything I'm suggesting that when I press the peddle...I'd really love it to feel the opposite of "me pushin' my fat brother up the stairs".

Disclaimer: I don't have a fat brother and don't have anything against being fat.

Yes, I'm being rather sarcastic to some degree, as my deuce does have good power for what it is. I would just love more guts, quite a bit more guts when I press the peddle. I don't really care about going really fast. I just want to have much more power to hit the 55 (+ or - a few) MPH that I'll get to. Going up a hill and not lagging...nice, really nice. Just think...you're going up a long hill and you can still keep that 55 all the way up...smiling...yes...that's what I'm getting at.

Someone discussing m35s once said that they were designed to do alot of things OKAY. That s why I like them so much. I think I'm gonna go out to the barn now and start her up.

bottleworks

If your going to repower the truck, I feel it is assumed that you would also use a transmission that is correct for the application. Why would you keep the stock trans? One would install a trans that keeps that the new engine in it's power band. The stock trans were meant for the stock engines, not any and every engine.

ProJunkRacing

bottleworks said:
If your going to repower the truck, I feel it is assumed that you would also use a transmission that is correct for the application. Why would you keep the stock trans? One would install a trans that keeps that the new engine in it's power band. The stock trans were meant for the stock engines, not any and every engine.
My thoughts Exactly ... Something with OD gear then bigger meats would help alot.

emr

Hi Dave I like your idea, im going to the shop after work tomarrow just to fire the old girl up, and say dont worry honey you just perfect the way u are,If there was only a woman as perfect as a deuce, LOL... Randy

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
if you ask me, i think the best way to sum up the deuce for anything is it is a novelty unless you have alot of work to do offroad or unless your on the frontlines of a battle field conflict. i love a deuce, i love how simple they are, i love driving mine when i dont have to but i think if i had anything major to transport buisness wise or over lots of highway i dont think i would use my deuce

drthunder33

I would like to get one for the sheer utility it would provide. To drag my mud bogger the 20 minutes down back roads to Rizzo's bog. For pulling myself out when I get it stuck. To haul whatever I may need. And to just drive around and enjoy because theyre just friggin cool.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
drthunder33 said:
I would like to get one for the sheer utility it would provide. To drag my mud bogger the 20 minutes down back roads to Rizzo's bog. For pulling myself out when I get it stuck. To haul whatever I may need. And to just drive around and enjoy because theyre just friggin cool.
that is the only reasons i got mine. drag my junk to the holes, and to unstuck myself.

spicergear

I just towed these trucks to the farm...my 'truck farm,' I guess. :) My deuce truck pulled really well considering an over 32,000Lb combination. Never got below 45 highway and ran a pretty steady 57-58mph. Small grades didn't pull me down much and larger ones would pull me to 50mph then she'd gain back again. Could probably turn my CAT up just a smidgeon as it barely makes any color in the exhaust. Second pull was a LONG one though...a fouling fuel filter had me starving for fuel at higher rpm's and it was a slow-go. One thing to remember when towbar towing; make sure the front tires on the pulled truck are way up with pressure and it will tow like a dream. Oh, and my updated brakes using the Hydro-Max booster and 2" bore master cylinder worked perfectly. I could not ask for or would want to change anything about them whatsoever.

Using the BF towbar or towbar from Hell by myself issued a steep learning curve. The easiest way I was able to do it was to back up to the truck I was hooking to then slide the towbar out and make a near balancing point at the back of the bed. I'd hook it to the towie's front tow lugs then pull my truck forward till just the pull ring was still on the bed. I put a steel stool on the ground under it with a 6x6 wood block on it. Then I'd pull out very slowly and let it down onto the stool and block. Then I could put up my tailgate and take about three tries to dead on line it up. Getting off of it was fun too. I had a 5' digging iron that I'd pry it out of the pintle hook with then I'd use that to prop it up. Then I'd back under it until the digging iron fell down. It would usually be pretty well balanced then and I could unhook from the tow lugs of the other truck and slide it back in the bed. It did drop on my one time after I had it hooked to the towie. Got it lifted back up myself and even got to see those little starbust in my eyes for a while. -yikes. I also made up a quick light bar that hangs on the tailgate. I used trailer lights and bought a flasher unit and wired it to a battery so they they just flash the whole time.

Attachments

rmgill

Here's my setup. The trailer was bought from a friend for $1k. It needed new brakes, bearings and wiring/lights. Trailer lights are 24 Volts all around.

The Trailer will hopefully be getting a new paint job and an addition of more tie down points. I also want to add a tool box on the A-Frame but something that's integrated. I'm also planning on adding some rear facing tail lights on armored housings on the ramps so there's some higher rear facing lights. I don't want to be run into on the highway because it's not clearly visible. I guess I need a pair of three marker lights in the middle but that'll require grinding off parts and adding new mountings which isn't easy with what I have.

Attachments