• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone tried Als HNR, LizardSkin, any others? Results?

dhaumann69166

Hey everyone I am looking to do a roll on sound deadener and I have searched all over the internet but not much for results on finished product. I know someone on here did a Humvee in LizardSkin but I could not find any pictures. Basically I just want to know how well it works and if you think it was worth your time and money. Does it give 10% sound reduction, 15%, 25% maybe more??? Did you top coat it or leave it exposed? How is it holding up over time? I was thinking a coat of Durabak over top for protection just cause I have some extra around.
I prefer to wash the inside of my Humvee with a power washer instead of a vacuum so dynomat and products like that aren’t a great option. Also it looks like most liquid deadeners are about half the price of Dynomat type products. Thanks in advance for any info whether it’s personal experience or something a buddy did on a hot rod, I just would like to hear if/how good it works. Way to many rounds sent down range with out hearing protection and hot rods running straight out the headers has put enough ringing in my ears. If the Humvee can be hushed up even a little it would be nice.

JoeJrTheBarber

Their are tons of posts on ways people have shut up these trucks. I personally think their is no better then other way but that's just me. Lizard skin, Dynomat, Hushmat, seam sealing, etc.
Kinda however you want to attack it and what kinda $$$ you want to do it.

dhaumann69166

I'm going to try the lizardskin to my m998. I have both the sounddeading and the ceramic instillation. hope to have a few dry day to do it.
Post some pics and let us know how much it quieted the inside. There are a lot of people out there who have posted about planning to use these products but it’s almost impossible to find any posts on the finished product and if they were satisfied. I have had a couple people PM me that have used LizardSkin and they said it worked really well. Haven’t heard or seen any results on any other brands.

dhaumann69166

Headphone are illegal while driving where I live. Not looking to totally block out the world just want to cut back the decibel level at highway speed some. I am sure I could Dynomat the whole thing inside and knock out a lot of noise but I am also looking for something strong and waterproof.

Jeep Nasty

I painted my whole truck with u-pol raptor liner and had great results with sound, vibration and a paint on it.

EladB

If that's the case, half the weed-whacker wannabe rolling boom boxes in this town ought to have off-road only titles.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used AL's liner on a few projects, its not bad, like most stuff, it is the prep and application that equals results. A friend has used Lizard Skin, he has an article on gear-report.com about it. I used Al's on the bed section of my 998. I have also used quite a bit of FatMat with good results. Its very similar to Dynamat in construction and application but half the cost. I'm using it as deadener in my deuce crew cab project, also on gear-report.

Hey everyone I am looking to do a roll on sound deadener and I have searched all over the internet but not much for results on finished product. I know someone on here did a Humvee in LizardSkin but I could not find any pictures. Basically I just want to know how well it works and if you think it was worth your time and money. Does it give 10% sound reduction, 15%, 25% maybe more??? Did you top coat it or leave it exposed? How is it holding up over time? I was thinking a coat of Durabak over top for protection just cause I have some extra around.
I prefer to wash the inside of my Humvee with a power washer instead of a vacuum so dynomat and products like that aren’t a great option. Also it looks like most liquid deadeners are about half the price of Dynomat type products. Thanks in advance for any info whether it’s personal experience or something a buddy did on a hot rod, I just would like to hear if/how good it works. Way to many rounds sent down range with out hearing protection and hot rods running straight out the headers has put enough ringing in my ears. If the Humvee can be hushed up even a little it would be nice.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to do the same, but my goal is primarily heat reduction.

What would be the easiest to apply product for this?

I want to do under the cab, floor of the cab, and inside and outside of the firewall.

Also, is it safe to use an insulating wrap on the exhaust pipe?

Dock Rocker

Also, is it safe to use an insulating wrap on the exhaust pipe?
In order to do this right you will need a good high quality exhaust wrap. Look to Summit for this. You will also have to pull the manifolds to get it wrapped tight enough. It will be much easier if you have two people or a large vice at a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In order to do this right you will need a good high quality exhaust wrap. Look to Summit for this. You will also have to pull the manifolds to get it wrapped tight enough. It will be much easier if you have two people or a large vice at a minimum.

Thanks!

dhaumann69166

I have heard good things about LizardSkin ceramic for heat reduction. I have also read a much cheaper version is to take latex house paint and mix in ceramic micro spheres. Pretty much the same thing as LizardSkin ceramic. Everyone that I have read about doing it covered both the LizardSkin and the homemade stuff with a smooth top coat like LizardSkin Top Coat, Durabak 18, or Raptor Liner. I plan on doing the underside of the floors, the inside of the engine cover, and as much of the inside of the tunnel where the drive train is with regular Duplicolor Bed Armor or Raptor Liner. The inside of the cab will be either Als HNR or homemade LizardSkin with a Durabak 18 Smooth coat over top. I plan on applying everything with a 1/4” nap or shorter Mohair roller to get the smoothest finish possible.

Exhaust wrap will definitely help with heat and sound control along with a very very slight performance boost. Only down side on a Humvee is the fact most of us like to get them dirty and exhaust wrap doesn’t clean up easily. You can power wash it off it just holds the dirt a little harder than bare metal.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have heard good things about LizardSkin ceramic for heat reduction. I have also read a much cheaper version is to take latex house paint and mix in ceramic micro spheres. Pretty much the same thing as LizardSkin ceramic. Everyone that I have read about doing it covered both the LizardSkin and the homemade stuff with a smooth top coat like LizardSkin Top Coat, Durabak 18, or Raptor Liner. I plan on doing the underside of the floors, the inside of the engine cover, and as much of the inside of the tunnel where the drive train is with regular Duplicolor Bed Armor or Raptor Liner. The inside of the cab will be either Als HNR or homemade LizardSkin with a Durabak 18 Smooth coat over top. I plan on applying everything with a 1/4” nap or shorter Mohair roller to get the smoothest finish possible.

Exhaust wrap will definitely help with heat and sound control along with a very very slight performance boost. Only down side on a Humvee is the fact most of us like to get them dirty and exhaust wrap doesn’t clean up easily. You can power wash it off it just holds the dirt a little harder than bare metal.
To clarify, I have a M925A2 ROPS.

Jeep Nasty

I only did 1 coat and it ends up being only about 1/16 thick. I would have gone thicker, but I needed 10 gallons to get 1 coat on my truck inside and out.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Because it traps moisture, you can expect earlier failure due to corrosion, but I've had good experience finding techs to re-pipe other vehicles for a reasonable price in the past (shop around, play one quote against the other) so I may do this too. You will get some criticism for suggesting it, but I think laziness stops most of us from bothering, not corrosion fears.

BDGR

Dock Rocker

Because it traps moisture, you can expect earlier failure due to corrosion, but I've had good experience finding techs to re-pipe other vehicles for a reasonable price in the past (shop around, play one quote against the other) so I may do this too. You will get some criticism for suggesting it, but I think laziness stops most of us from bothering, not corrosion fears.

BDGR
That is a real concern with thin walled headers but factory manifolds it would be years and years and years before you rusted through a factory manifold.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks