• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone try pro sandblast equipment to strip their m35?

yolner

There is a place around here that can rent me a 180CFM diesel air compressor for $60/day. I'm thinking about renting it for a weekend, hooking it up to a HF 110lb sandblaster, and stripping down my truck. I'd use Black Diamond media from TSC.

My question is will something with that much juice cut through the CARC and how long will it take to strip the whole truck with this method? So far I've been making slow progress with paint stripper and wire wheels and I'm looking for a faster plan.

Katahdin

With 180 CFM you'll want a bigger sandblaster with a larger nozzle. The HF 110 is more like a 12-20CFM blaster and it'll take longer than the weekend to do the job.

123mack

I used that size compressor with a 300lb sand pot and blaster with a 3/8" nozzle. Took most of the day and about a ton of sand. Multiple layers of CARC are tough.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used that size compressor with a 300lb sand pot and blaster with a 3/8" nozzle. Took most of the day and about a ton of sand. Multiple layers of CARC are tough.
Same experence here. Lots of dust, don't do it in a residental area.

yolner

Took most of the day and about a ton of sand. Multiple layers of CARC are tough.
Is that just for the frame or the body panels/bed too? Did you reuse the sand?

The combo you used would cost me $130ish per day + media. Might be worth it if I don't have to touch paint stripper again.

axlr8

how about we get an idea of what all your stripping? and what time frame/cost your looking at... if you blast, and wait.....your going to have bare metal, with a good bit of surface rust. so the best thing to do is to blast, and paint or re finish right away. BUT, it all depends on your location. I second the larger tip, and breathing pump. also the 'dont try in a residential setting'......

Truckoholic

I've got a pro sandblasting setup now after trying way too many times to strip the paint off of old trucks using other methods. There is just no other way feasible to get the job done well, and done relatively quickly than sandblasting. Used to take me like 3 weeks to get one of these trucks ready for paint. Now I can completely sandblast and paint one in just 2 days. My sandblaster and air compressor are probably the best most valuable tools I have ever bought!

Here's a couple pics of one of my trucks in my shop with my Schmidt 300 pound sandblaster. Fed by my Sullivan 210 CFM rotary air compressor. And yes, very important to have an air fed helmet fed with clean air. Unless you have a really good filter and carbon monoxide detector on your breathing air, it's not usually a good idea to use the air coming from the trailer mounted compressor either because when they get hot, the oil that lubricates the rotary vanes of the compressor, can actually burn, and create carbon monoxide that you are now breathing. People have died that way. I use a separate air compressor for my breathing air, and it is so nice to be able to be right in the middle of an absolute dust storm, and breathing perfectly clean air.

But yeah, like others have said, it takes most of a day with a good size blast nozzle, and air compressor, and it's taken me around 40-50 bags of sand per truck. I buy all my sand at Home Depot for $3.67 a bag I think. And it is well worth it to me! You can reuse the sand as well, but it tends to get pulverized and turn into powder that doesn't do much good other than obscure your vision, and it can be a real pain in the butt to sift through. So I've determined that it is worth it to me to just buy enough sand to last for the whole job, so all I have to do is open a new bag and pour it in the blaster without having to sift it.

But yeah, sandblasting is by far the way to go from preparing these old trucks for new paint! The absolute biggest problem with it though, is trying to get all of the sand out of the truck! You think you got it all out, and then you go to spray paint, and the air from the spray gun blows some more sand out of somewhere and it gets all stuck in your new paint! AHHHHHHHH!!! The first truck I sandblasted and painted, 6 months later, when I sold it, there was STILL sand coming out all over the floor board every time I'd drive it. I have no idea where it could have still been coming from!!! So count on that! There will be sand EVERYWHERE!!!!! Or whatever media you use. It will be in places you did not know it was possible for it to get in.

Another warning..............Remove ALL GLASS from the truck if you are going to sandblast! There is NO real good way of protecting it from being damaged other than to completely remove it from the area! I have damaged quite a few windows with my sandblaster! Cost myself a lot more money than it should have. I knew the sand would damage the glass, so I spent a few hours masking the heck out of all the windows and dash guages so the sand wouldn't get to them... It did not work. Sand found it's way around the masking, and it other places just blasted right through. So now, I just take the time to take all of the windows completely out of the truck. Saves me a LOT of trouble and money for new glass!

Oh, and another warning............If you are planning to sandblast, I have learned it is a VERY BAD IDEA to get grey primer. Ha ha. Newly sandblasted metal is almost exactly the same color as grey primer, so it is nearly impossible to see where you have and have not sprayed the primer!

559067_10150948228229465_645469464_13075175_1490285916_n.jpg

563146_10150947388049465_645469464_13072890_1409797535_n.jpg

430773_10150876434959465_645469464_12868001_1388845048_n.jpg

Last edited:

yolner

how about we get an idea of what all your stripping? and what time frame/cost your looking at... if you blast, and wait.....your going to have bare metal, with a good bit of surface rust. so the best thing to do is to blast, and paint or re finish right away. BUT, it all depends on your location. I second the larger tip, and breathing pump. also the 'dont try in a residential setting'......

Well my rough outline is to remove the bed and all the panels except for the cab itself. Blast everything and paint the frame/axles with por-15. Then do rust repair on the panels and por-15 those when done. I figure a little surface rust won't hurt too much since por-15 requires treating panels with ospho before painting.

I have over half an acre and good neighbors including one who did something similar to one of his project cars. Thats where I got the idea.

I also want to use coal slag instead of sand so silicosis is less of an issue.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truckoholic said it right.

I have blasted a lot of truck sized projects and my experience is the same as his. The only thing I differ in is sand. I would never use sand from home depot. Play sand is just that. It is river sand that is all rounded from rolling down the river, and doesn't have good tooth to cut with. If that is all you can get, fine, but real sand blasting grit, like Green Diamond, does the work in half the time or less.

I never try to reuse blasting grit. If you are in a booth where it can be swept up and screened that might work, but otherwise, forget it. It takes a lot of blasting grit to get the job done, there is no way around it.

A commercial screw compressor and a HF freight blaster is a mismatch and won't gain you anything.

I will soon be experimenting with a 4000 PSI pressure washer with a sand blasting attachment [wet blasting]. I will report back here with the results.

bearboley

I wont sand blast a truck period, sand get in places you can't see or remove, any crevices, cracks, any place there is grease in the brake parts everywhere its just a bad idea. If the truck is apart and your doing like a door or panel thast off the truck thats okay to blast. I know everyones gonna jump on me and tell me they have with no problems. I just say none yet at least. I needle scale. I can do that as quick as blasting with a lot less mess and trouble. And no sand in the bad spots either.2cents

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I certainly won't jump on you and tell you I have no problems. As was said above, the sand just keeps working out of all the places it got worked into, so it does go places you don't want it to.

I have also given a lot of thought to the whole blasting a complete truck vs truck parts thing.

I don't really like the idea of shooting sand around where it gets into things that it will hurt. But it seems like blowing sand and dust is part of the operating environment these trucks are made for.

So does the sand or blasting grit really get into places where it will cause components to fail when preparing to paint?

I don't know, I am asking, and thanks for raising the question.

bearboley

Just something to think about. Yes they are made to operate in those conditions, sand mud etc. but what is really different than a cicvy truck as far as drivetrain. And the military has a very vast and deep pocketed maintenance program for the repair of such conditions. The sands not being pointed at it either with a 100 psi shoving it in places. Even though you think it shouldn't get in places it does. and it will be there forever.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks