• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

anything 1009's are notorious for?

Keith_J

thanks for all the very informative replies and I would like to know about this doghead mod? I know about the solargizer and It will be an addition to the truck. luckily I have mkcoen near me to help me with problems on the 1009. specific parts that are known to fail would be very welcome as I would want to have a replacement for when I buy it.
Well, you also have my services:driver:. All you have to do is supply parts and tater bombs [thumbzup]. MKC has a spare relay solenoid he will sell you. Brand new too. Took me 30 minutes to install.

Warren Lovell

M1009's are notorious for breeding. Just last week, another showed up in my driveway!
My friend purchased this low mile (33,000+) M1009. The engine was beautifully clean, frame was nice, but...after driving it for a few months he lunched the motor. I bought the "project" for $800.
The oil pan looks like a squirrel was banging on it from the inside. Maybe threw a rod or something.
In any event, I'm looking for a replacement motor. So, yes - one never seems to be enough.

Keith_J

Warren, don't tempt Tim. One 1009 is MORE than enough for him. My sanity must be preserved!!! He is already pining to learn proper operation of an M35A2.

Keith_J

Be careful what you wish for..I just might use your strong back for breaking down some split rim tires, just to keep traditions alive. Back in the Army, new drivers got to do this task. It involves sledge hammers, pry bars, wedges and SWEAT. MKC has 3 to do on the M37 so it won't be as much as the M35's. Still, it is WORK!!! No, you cannot take them to a local tire shop because these split rim/split ring wheels have a reputation for injury if assembled incorrectly so they won't touch them out of liability. But if you are careful, they are safe. You won't be involved in the inflation so it is all safe.

Keith_J

You have school in the morning, plus MKC has you down for fire wood stacking:lol:. And this weekend is out as we have other issues. In a few weeks we should be ready. Plus I need to spend some time with my 1031 as it needs repair on the transmission vacuum regulator valve.

cscmc1

Be careful what you wish for..I just might use your strong back for breaking down some split rim tires, just to keep traditions alive. Back in the Army, new drivers got to do this task. It involves sledge hammers, pry bars, wedges and SWEAT. MKC has 3 to do on the M37 so it won't be as much as the M35's. Still, it is WORK!!! No, you cannot take them to a local tire shop because these split rim/split ring wheels have a reputation for injury if assembled incorrectly so they won't touch them out of liability. But if you are careful, they are safe. You won't be involved in the inflation so it is all safe.
You need to make a friend at an Air Force base with heavy aircraft! We have a bead breaker for KC-135 wheels/tires (which are split rim) and I'll bet it would make real quick work of those wheels. Sure beats trying to do it by hand (and yes, we've given it a try -- talk about work!). I don't envy you one bit!

OP, welcome to the fold. I just got my CUCV a couple of months ago, and it's been fun. There is a never-ending laundry list of preventative maintenance items, but they are all interesting challenges. I've gained so much more confidence in my truck since I've gotten to know it by spending hours inside and underneath; I'm a lot more likely to hop in and head a long distance in it now that I've done these things.

Take those local fellows up on their offers of help, but get in there and get your hands dirty, too. Their experience will make the work much less frustrating, and you WILL use the knowledge gained in the future to get yourself out of some jams!

Tanner

Take the rims to a tractor or heavy truck shop, which are located in most towns. They have the proper equipment to breakdown/re-assemble lock ring rims. And it doesn't cost a lot.

'Tanner'

ODw/envy

Did he say something about axles?

If you have a heavy foot and/or do any heavy off-roading you may be compelled to do something about the gov lock in that little 10 bolt.

:whistle:

Attachments

Keith_J

Did he say something about axles?

If you have a heavy foot and/or do any heavy off-roading you may be compelled to do something about the gov lock in that little 10 bolt.

:whistle:

Quit scaring Tim. :popcorn:

I feel Tim is telegraphing the negative comments from his social/familial circles on his desires for a M1009. They don't know of the resources for fixing/restoring such a vehicle. Sadly, we live in a disposable society, mostly because labor is despised. Tim is different, he only needs to know how to do something and it will get done :driver:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Electrical issue in the 1009 ? Say it isnt so......

Only problem I had in mine was the IP, sux that its the most expensive part on the truck.

Tanner

Electrical issue in the 1009 ? Say it isnt so......

Only problem I had in mine was the IP, sux that its the most expensive part on the truck.
If you didn't have issues with the truck, there are only two possible answers:

1) it was a static display vehicle that you didn't drive
2) you didn't own it long enough

:grin:

'Tanner'

ODw/envy

Quit scaring Tim. :popcorn:

I feel Tim is telegraphing the negative comments from his social/familial circles on his desires for a M1009. They don't know of the resources for fixing/restoring such a vehicle. Sadly, we live in a disposable society, mostly because labor is despised. Tim is different, he only needs to know how to do something and it will get done :driver:
Go for the Cut V!!!! I am loving it so far. I have almost 1 mile of M1009 driving experience. I do have about 150 miles of trailering an M1009 though.

I did not intend to discourage him. The fact remains the a 1009 is a 3/4 ton truck on 1/4 axles (by modern standards, think Jeep Rubicon).

Check out my build thread for a little push in the true 3/4 or 1 ton "M1009A1" direction.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/90710-chucv-soup-animal-9.html

Note: I have basic hand tools, pneumatic tools, and a willingness/need to succeed.

Last edited:

timo247

I like to relax but when It comes to working I don't want to screw around. I prefer to set a great example that I can and WILL work if asked and shown how to do it if necessary.

cscmc1

I like to relax but when It comes to working I don't want to screw around. I prefer to set a great example that I can and WILL work if asked and shown how to do it if necessary.
That's the spirit! Keep watching this forum for an idea of the common problem areas on these trucks. For instance, I just swapped out the harmonic balancer on mine (more a preventative procedure than one of absolute necessity, though I did find a few dry rot cracks in the rubber on the old one). This seems to be a common issue and conventional wisdom stated that very bad things can happen if you wait for a balancer to come apart on it's own.

Other issues include bent driveshafts (courtesy of the folks who sell these things for the government), goofy electrical workarounds by any previous owners, etc, etc, etc...

Sounds like you have an excellent resource right there in Keith, and then there's always the forum here. If you know a wrench from a hammer, and you can read, then you can probably handle CUCV maintenance.

Looking forward to seeing your posts about your hunt for a CUCV... keep us up-to-date!

timo247

yeah haha thats what I'm afraid of. If I ever get one it will become my baby and all my money and time will go into it. It shall be called the "LOVE MACHINE"!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks