• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aparently there's an issue with my sig

Status
Not open for further replies.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It has been brought to my attention that my other website in my sig has been an issue for some users. I'd rather work transparent here and not secretively, so I'm posting this thread.

To give a little background, it's correct, I do not own militaryoffroadtires. My friend John does. I'm just an employee/partner when it comes to the tire section. We're currently working on expanding the company however. We're branching into parts and surplus clothing. Both of those sections I am a direct partner of.

I've had talks with Chris in the past about this, and I've even sought the council of some of the other members here via PM. Now I'd rather just open it up for the general public for discussion.

John is a great guy, but honestly he's not up on the forum thing. I've played the part of public relations for him for a couple of years now. I've tried several times to coach him through becoming active, but he's just not into it.

Which brings me to the sticking point I have now...

I help admin the site and help with a lot of stuff here. I do get a perk of a vendor account (which I assigned to John's account) for my efforts. I have tried to promote our goods from time to time. But I can see this might be a bit of a conflict.

So I ask the masses, where should I stand the matter? I have no problem no longer mentioning my sideline work if it's an issue. I'll also try harder to get John more active if that's the case. I honestly do feel it's a little weird that a staff member of the site also having vendor interests that are indirectly related to the site.

If you don't wish to cause conflict or make a public statement, please feel free to PM me your feedback.

Again I just want my actions here to be as transparent as possible.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see no conflict of interest. I say all is good.

And since Chris owns this site and says it is okay, then there is nothing to discuss.

Titanium Soldier

i think its great, its not like your deleting other vendors posts to increase your own sales, so i see no problems! Besides if u didnt advertise at all i woulda had to pay more for my XMLs... btw thanks lol:beer:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
i think its great, its not like your deleting other vendors posts to increase your own sales, so i see no problems! Besides if u didnt advertise at all i woulda had to pay more for my XMLs... btw thanks lol:beer:
Oh no, I've never deleted a vendor's post. Actually I've delete some people posting in vendor threads, but never the other way around. (I see it only right if a vendor has a widget for sale in a thread they started, then someone else post jacking their thread isn't ok.)

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have absolutely no issue with this. Personally, I think that having business owners (vendors) participate in the site as admin or mods is beneficial to members.

Abuse of the members (spam, distracting and obnoxious ads, pop-ups, etc.) would definitely be out of bounds; but just listing a website in your sigline? Not even close to being objectionable. In fact it is a convenience.

Just my 2cents

Storm 51

3dAngus

Well I want opinions about not only the sig, but also me "pimping" the company.
Honestly, and I don't mean this to be insensitive, but "who cares?".

We all sell and swap things which make it all better for the overall community. The fact that you sell discounted tires is NOT a bad thing. And it is definitely not a conflict of interest when you have always given true transparancy into your business side of things in tire sales with the business and John himself.

This is not, or should not, be any kind of issue at all. And if it is, I would simply look to the "source" of the "problem". Therein lies the problem.

There should not be any penalites for being an Admin, nor a Mod.

ARYankee

Honestly, and I don't mean this to be insensitive, but "who cares?".

We all sell and swap things which make it all better for the overall community. The fact that you sell discounted tires is NOT a bad thing. And it is definitely not a conflict of interest when you have always given true transparancy into your business side of things in tire sales with the business and John himself.

This is not, or should not, be any kind of issue at all. And if it is, I would simply look to the "source" of the "problem". Therein lies the problem.

There should not be any penalites for being an Admin, nor a Mod.
:ditto: No issues here. It's all good :)

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering the amount of time and effort you have put into getting SS basicly back up and running again , I don't see why anyone would be cocerned about your sigline . Without you the site would be in further decline as it was last year . You could be dedicating the countless you spend here to your business venture and gain alot more than what you get from a link in your sigline.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your efforts have made great improvements to the site, I can see no conflict and see no problem with your advertising product that you have available for sale, any more so than any other member.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I was running Soldiers I had some that did the minimum and some that gave 100%......the ones that gave 100% got rewarded...the others got what they earned.

I think you are entitled to your "perk" for doing the dirty work others (including myself) don't have the time, expertise or motivation to do.

Thanks for your hardwork here and enjoy the "bennies".

1stSarge

I think Joe said it best.

But if its making you feel funny, then create a separate website for the surplus section, put the “vendor” label in your name, and post the link to that site in your signature as per the site rules.

You could always have profound links to militaryoffroadtires on that site. I would make it a dot com though. ;-)

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have read a large number of your posts and in my opinion you do not cross any lines. In all cases you have provided input and assistance and in some cases pushed your product. You are not forcing anyone to buy anything from you.

I could see where another vendor may have an issue with the fact you are a moderator and vendor but the reality is I am sure any vendor who exhibits the amount of time and dedication that you do could also be a mod and a vendor. So let the other vendors step up if they have a problem with this situation.

This is a non issue. Thanks for all you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WarrenD

I don't have a problem with it as long as it's done out in the open. There are several other vendors that post here and it's usually helpful. I have posted info directing people to those places that may have the parts they desire.
Leave the line in the sig, if Chris has a problem, then it's between the two of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks