• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Approach Angle?

Lonesome715

I was taught to clear the farthest most part of the tread. Being since that is the part that will make first contact and do most pf the work at first.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Shouldn't we be talking about departure angle? also if you hang weight off the rear of the deuce it will change the balance in ways that would make for some interesting times should you climb a slope that is at the edge of what a deuce is capapble of.

tm america

how much weight you planning on putting back there? do you have a winch or not?if you make the front and rear have the same angle you should be fine but how much weight you put in it and where it is as far as how far back and how far up will really change how much traction you have to climb the hill without tipping over backwards

According to the specs I see, the deuce has a 40 deg. approach angle on stock size tires. (with winch) I was just wondering the steepest grade anyone has conquered in real life, because no sense in designing a 40deg approach (and departure) angle if the deuce can only make a 20% grade. I'm not planning on some monstrous overhang back there, as of right now I'm just gathering general ideas.

IHASFIP

I thought deuces could climb 60 degree grades?
I could be wrong but doesn't that just mean it could drive up a 60 degree incline, if the base of the incline is gradual then it should be able to do that. Granted it couldn't just go up a real steep one. Here look at my crude drawing. This is what I am trying to say. :)

Hope that makes sense.

D

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember, there is a vast difference between 60° and 60% grade. Need to clarify this one. Also, I can tell you that if you have a multifuel in the can, in the middle of the bed, sideways and unsecured, it will tip at less than 30°, I have witnesses.

IHASFIP

Yea I know there is a differance. I guess grade % would be like if the road rose 60 ft. over 100 ft. that would be a 60% gradient. Super dooper steep ;). I am unaware the grade the M35 is capable of navigating I was just stating regardless of whether it is 60 degrees or a 60 percent grade if it started gradual then you would be able to make it up it regardless of the 40 degree approach angle. Thats just what I was getting at. My camaro could go up a 60 degree incline if it had enough traction and power, even though its aproach angle is like 1 degree :) if only the incle started off gradually. Thats all I was getting at.