• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Approved Transmission Fluids

Barowner

To clarify, use motor oil, not ATV. Does it mater synthetic, synthetic blend or regular?

How does one know what is already in there other than sending it in like Elijah95 plans to do?
Or should I just drain, filter change, and fill with the new motor oil, whichever you folk say best regarding synthetic, and go on the way?
I have an MTVR arriving today, just trying to get up to par on keeping this great machine running happily.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
To clarify, use motor oil, not ATV. Does it mater synthetic, synthetic blend or regular?

How does one know what is already in there other than sending it in like Elijah95 plans to do?
Or should I just drain, filter change, and fill with the new motor oil, whichever you folk say best regarding synthetic, and go on the way?
I have an MTVR arriving today, just trying to get up to par on keeping this great machine running happily.
Thanks in advance for your help.
If it’s an mtvr, the Marines use motor oil exclusively, at time of this writing they do not use ATF for any reason in their MTVRs

The list provided above gives you some synthetic and non synthetic options, really and truly none of us will really rack up enough miles to make a big difference between the two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abfisher1798

Hey guys, considering transmission fluid is a fiercely debated topic in the M939 and M35A3 trucks I figured I’d go ahead and start a thread concerning it for us.

All MTVR variants current as of this posting utilize the Allison HD 4070P , a robust 7 speed automatic. Here is a list of Allison Approved fluids you can use in your truck.

Please note where it says “off-highway fluids” and keep in mind that if your truck is going to be used at any point off-road, at speeds below 30 mph for more than 5-10 minutes anytime during the life of the truck you fit the qualification for using these fluids. The military has had excellent success with these transmissions running motor oil.

I do not recommend converting these transmissions to ATF for any reason, you will never get all of the old motor oil out and the cost to rebuild one of these is significant if you cause any damage in the process. The motor oil in this approved list will protect your transmission on and off-road with the small catch that if you’ll warm up your truck for 10 minutes before departure at the start of the day you shouldn’t experience any accelerated wear from being a higher viscosity lubricant.

In summary, one of the best things you could potentially do for your truck after initial inspection and subsequent recovery is to change all fluids, including the transmission oil. Oh and don’t forget the filters ;)

Speaking of filters......which is appropriate for the MTVR? PN?

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did change my truck to ATF and it is working great. I did have issues with the 15w-40 during cold weather. By cold weather I mean 0 degrees and below. Btw, the 15w-40 the Marines use is very different than the oil we civilians can get.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being a Cummins dealer, we have access to Valvoline products through the dealer channel. I'll be changing all fluids when my truck arrives. This list and thread is an excellent resource for newbies to the MTVR world like me. I'm also fortunate to have a CAT dealership one mile from my house, and will be taking Wes's advice regarding their filters. Thanks to all who have contributed!

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
At current point, I’ve logged 7000+ miles on 15w40 driving cross-country CA-GA, lots of trips offroad, city driving, some of which turned up with a custom 525hp 1600 torque tune, all with no issues to report as of yet (knock on wood)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks