• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are all 6.2 IDI?

99dodge1500

Hey Folks, Its been awhile since I have been on here. But anyway I was wondering if all the 6.2s are IDI (Indirect Injection) motors, I am hopefully picking up a 91 suburban with a 6.2 in it and was wondering if I can wmo to it? Much appreciated.

crusty

Yes all 6.2 diesels are indirect injected. I have no personal experience with the use of alternative fuels in my trucks. I know there are some differences in the civilian 6.2s.

99dodge1500

The only differences I know of is the the military has dual alternators and thats about it, If any one knows any more please do tell? I am hoping to gain the benefits of WMO. Thanks folks

Westech

CPL
well really the military 6.2 is differnet then one you can get in a burb. the military uses J code 6.2.... no EGR and a different heads/intake. there all civy stuff when it comes down to it. some have run WMO in there 6.2 and I have a little bit but nothing like a deuce or anyother multi. stick to diesel in the 6.2 and you will be fine. Maybe a splash of really heavy filtered WMO but dont push it. The Injectors ere never made to push that stuff and if you do get junk in the fuel and it hits a injector its over for that injector. If you want to burn anything get a multi fuel engine.

and a note... give it a min for people to respond. your popcorn eating guy every 5 min just takes up space on our server. and we are running low on floppy disks.

Last edited:

99dodge1500

:oops:Yeah I just figured that they popcorn would put up more comments, so more people would look at it in stead of just passing it by.:oops: I was only thinking of putting in a gallon or so of WMO, filtered through a 5 and then 1 micron filter, would that be alright?

3dubs

Well maybe the popcorn just pissed people off. Maybe you are not the most important person. Maybe people just think you are rude. Maybe you should buy something before expecting everyone to jump up and answer your question. If you do not get the answer you want or any answer get over it. Get up drive down to a diesel shop and ask them. You could just pick up a phone. But most of all try manners they will get you more than anything. It appears the earlier thread that pointed out that you were not being polite did not get the point across. I am not trying to be rude but trying to help you. Most people are too polite to tell and just pass your thread. Go watch that funny video about posting again. But this time think about it. So take your popcorn and sit on it. You should wait at least 24 hours before you worry about responses. Better yet wait until you buy something before waisting everybody's time.

99dodge1500

Yeah your right I do have a bit of patience problem, Most of the diesel mechanics out here are big rig mechanics, and I have asked but have not much of an idea about the 6.2 or smaller motors. I just needed to know this to make my dad more able to buy the truck, because I don't have the money now for it.

jwaller

I used to run heavy amounts of WMO in my 6.2 powered hmmwv but I ran into a problem with the injectors. they would foul after a few hundred miles of use.

I was running a dual tank system switching to diesel for startup and shutdown every time and I still had the problem.

the inj's in the hmmwv's are a pain to swap so now I'm sticking with diesel with my 6.2 and pulling the dual tank out.

3dubs

Aspirin has side effects. If you do not want side effects then leave it alone. I hate it when someone tells me not to do something because I will blow an engine. Just tell me I may blow an engine and let me decide if I want to rebuild an engine or replace it. All fuels that the engine was not made for can cause damage to the fuel system or worse. But guess what the diesel fuel the engine was built for is not made anymore. They took the lubrication agents out of the fuel. WMO is a lubricant but it has junk in it that is why it is waste. So go read about diesel fuel and changes made. That will require going to other websites and reading. Even bio diesel has side effects. The injects are just money, the IP is more money and pain to replace. So go get the facts and come to your own opinion. Just remember loud booms are not good, metal hitting metal is bad, pieces of engine outside the engine are really bad, and fire coming from under the hood is time to get the marshmallows.

jwaller

20% would be too heavy IMO if your doing a single tank system. just remember that the fuel your using is going to sit in that injector and possibly cook inside said injector every time you shut it off. I would stay with 10% on a single tank system.

do filter your WMO very good. 5 or less is good for me.

NorthPatrol

First off I have to say something to 3dubs. If the question bothers you that much stop reading the thread.

As for the original post I would say listen to jwaller. From what I've read and heard he's a wealth of information. I just replaced one of the injectors on my M1009 and it cost me $40 and 30 minutes. So if your torch one it's no that bad but it can add up after a while. I run Biodiesel (commercial and my homebrew) in all of my diesels from 20% blend to 80% with no unexpected problems in the past 7 years. Unexpected problems does not include filters and rubber lines. That being said, I haven't had the guts to try WMO yet. Maybe I'll try it in my sons 82 Chevy Luv diesel? :roll:

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

3dubs

NorthPatrol I did not say the thread bothered me. "I hate it when someone tells me not to do something because I will blow an engine." So get it right. I said to get as many facts as you can. That would include here but you need to not limit your information. I said to make your own decision. I said to find out about all the risks before making a decision. I also said there are always risks. I plan to mix WMO and I know things may go wrong. I plan to have an extra IP and injectors before I mix WMO. So do what you want with your truck. know the risks but know there is always risk. I think it is foolish to think you can do anything without risk. Getting out of bed is a risk, staying in bed is a risk. But do what you want just know there is always risk.

So my conclusion:
1. There is a risk running pump diesel because they removed the lubricants. So you must add lubricants to avoid damage to the fuel pump.
2. WMO is a lubricant but it must be filtered and water removed.
3. Even with a little WMO there is a risk of damage to the injection pump and clogged injectors.
4. Injectors cost more than fuel pump.
5. Injectors are easier to replace than the fuel pump.
6. WMO will shorten the life of the injection pump.
7. WMO is cheaper than diesel
8. I would rather risk the IP and injectors than replace the fuel pump and the lower fuel cost really looks good.
9. As soon as I have an extra IP I will run WMO at about 50% because of the research I did.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks