• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are Goodyear MTs ever actually round?

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like what I see to true them up nice creativity and work!

I can tell you that my M998 with the Goodyear tires came to me driving smooth at all speeds.
I balanced sets for other people and all of them have come out driving smooth
I have the Hunter road force touch balancer GSP9700 and the truck adapter set that fits like a glove into the wheel centers
unless you are able to find a shop with this combination you will probably not get a good balance on any 37" tire. The 20k+ GSP9700 is the best tire balancer on the planet and it does not come with the truck cone set which I think I paid about 1800 just for them a few years ago. I think it uses the same adapter as the GM trucks as I recall. There is a web page to locate shops that have the GSP9700 machine but you will need to ask them if they have that specific truck adapter set which does the 8 lug trucks and maybe even 10 lug I forget. The cone adapter part that goes on the inside of the wheel is hub-centric and it also mounts the face of the wheel by the lug holes at the same time.
I can tell you that I know people at a few local Jeep/Ram dealerships and they will not pay for this type of equipment.
They have referred those customers to us with the lifted trucks and larger tires to balance them.

the GSP9700 will tell you if it will not be able to be balanced smoothly it measures multiple levels of harmonics and gives actual road force numbers and when on the balancer you can easily see if the tires are out of round. It will also do a centering check so if it passes the centering check the wheel is mounted correctly on the machine it measures runout. I own a small off road shop and it took over 5 years to start making a profit doing tire work but at the end of the day when the vehicles do not run smooth down the road the customer is not happy so it was a necessity. We have tried balance beads and centramic rings I can tell you in my opinion the balance beads almost always do not do a good job and the centrimatic rings have been hit or miss but do seem to work better than the beads alone I think they only correct one of the three harmonics though

on another note when you own one of these machines you can see who makes the better tires and overall Goodyear is one of the worst when it comes to balancing them across the board on all of their tires

an out of round tire will increase the road force number and I was told any mud tire over 60# of road force is defective and BFG will replace tires at that number

I have seen a new Goodyear MTR come up at over 300 lbs of road force

I have driven them up to maybe 70lbs if its only 1 tire on the back and they run pretty smooth to me

I have also driven on tires that were under vehicles that did not move in a long time "years" and the flat spots even after 10k of trying they never went away so pretty much if they have flat spots that don't go away after maybe 100 miles of driving they will probably never go away unless you can find a place to do the tire truing or build your own setup
Great information. Thanks for sharing.

Action

I can tell you that my M998 with the Goodyear tires came to me driving smooth at all speeds.
I have the Hunter road force touch balancer GSP9700 and the truck adapter set that fits like a glove into the wheel centers
unless you are able to find a shop with this combination you will probably not get a good balance on any 37" tire. The 20k+ GSP9700 is the best tire balancer on the planet and it does not come with the truck cone set which I think I paid about 1800 just for them a few years ago. I think it uses the same adapter as the GM trucks as I recall. There is a web page to locate shops that have the GSP9700 machine but you will need to ask them if they have that specific truck adapter set which does the 8 lug trucks and maybe even 10 lug I forget. The cone adapter part that goes on the inside of the wheel is hub-centric and it also mounts the face of the wheel by the lug holes at the same time.
I can tell you that I know people at a few local Jeep/Ram dealerships and they will not pay for this type of equipment.
They have referred those customers to us with the lifted trucks and larger tires to balance them.

the GSP9700 will tell you if it will not be able to be balanced smoothly it measures multiple levels of harmonics and gives actual road force numbers and when on the balancer you can easily see if the tires are out of round. It will also do a centering check so if it passes the centering check the wheel is mounted correctly on the machine it measures runout. I own a small off road shop and it took over 5 years to start making a profit doing tire work but at the end of the day when the vehicles do not run smooth down the road the customer is not happy so it was a necessity. We have tried balance beads and centramic rings I can tell you in my opinion the balance beads almost always do not do a good job and the centrimatic rings have been hit or miss but do seem to work better than the beads alone I think they only correct one of the three harmonics though

on another note when you own one of these machines you can see who makes the better tires and overall Goodyear is one of the worst when it comes to balancing them across the board on all of their tires

an out of round tire will increase the road force number and I was told any mud tire over 60# of road force is defective and BFG will replace tires at that number

I have driven them up to maybe 70lbs if its only 1 tire on the back and they run pretty smooth to me

I have also driven on tires that were under vehicles that did not move in a long time "years" and the flat spots even after 10k of trying they never went away so pretty much if they have flat spots that don't go away after maybe 100 miles of driving they will probably never go away unless you can find a place to do the tire truing or build your own setup
If I understand the Roadforce method correctly, it will tell you how far to rotate the tire on the rim. That is not easy for us to do especially on 24 bolt rims. And, speaking of 24 bolt rims. Mine weigh 187#. Your machine has a limit of 160#. Over 160# will require the Hunter HD Elite, which can handle tire/wheels up to 500#, and can take up to 52" tires.

AOR

If I understand the Roadforce method correctly, it will tell you how far to rotate the tire on the rim. That is not easy for us to do especially on 24 bolt rims. And, speaking of 24 bolt rims. Mine weigh 187#. Your machine has a limit of 160#. Over 160# will require the Hunter HD Elite, which can handle tire/wheels up to 500#, and can take up to 52" tires.
We do not rotate the tires on the wheels for the assemblies we work on which is mostly 31-37" tires AT/MT tires as I don't think it would make much of a difference. However in theory it should give a better balance. At the end of the day when the machine is done balancing the assembly with 0s on both sides of the wheel and if the road force numbers are below 60 they almost always run smooth. The machine is a diagnostic balancer that is why we use it. It replaced the old Coats workhorse direct drive we used for years and does a much better job. My machines is older than the HD elite It looks very similar to mine I think it replaced my machine which I think was purchased around 2015. I did purchase the optional wheel lift and it has picked up everything we have put on it including 40" tires on 12 bolt HMMWV wheels. I know another shop that has balanced 42" Super Swampers tires on theirs. 187# sure is a heavy assembly for sure that is allot of weight to be stopping. In the past I have weighed the 12 bolt assembles and I think they ranged from about 155#-165# 99% of what we work on is 160# lbs or less. I have never dealt with a 24 bolt wheel I do like the way they look I did not realize they weight 20-30 lbs or so more per wheel

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial

hunter machine
I like the little hydraulic or air elevator for the workpiece!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not realize they weight 20-30 lbs or so more per wheel
They don't...
If we are talking about the bare wheel assembly, complete with its valve, O-ring and hardware, the 12-bolt with 3850# load cap. (Part# 12460178 ) weighs almost 42 pounds, while the paired 24-bolt @ 4540# load cap. (Part# 12518559) weighs 46.2 lbs.
Just those 12 extra bolts and nuts represent exactly half of that difference.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks