• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are lights on a timer circuit when engine is not running?

bfdvollie

We are noticing a weird problem with the main light switch when the engine is not running. We noticied this before disassembly and it's doing the same thing after re-assembly. We can have the light siwtched set the the 2 o'clock position so all lights are on. If we leave them on and turn on the hazzards after 30-40 min the entire lighting system shuts down. We have to wait about 10 minutes, switch it back to 2 o'clock position and they come back on.

Is there a battery saver timer in the eletrical system or is there an issue with the main light switch? I see the pinpoint checks in the service manual and we'll try them out.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, I think your breaker in the light switch is faulty, or you have a large draw somewhere. I had the same issue with my first deuce. If I ran the convoy lights and the headlights, everything would trip off after awhile, and I would have to wait and they would come back on.

Does it only do it when the engine isn't running? Mine would do it no matter what.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never experienced that on a M998 or M1038 series truck. I've had guys need to get slaved because they left their lights on all day or something.

bfdvollie

No it did it with the engine running as well as we drove them back from NC. It is better since I cleaned and reset the grounds behind the heater controls that TedG discussed. I've been turning the lights on with high beam with hazards as I was working on installing other components to get a time frame of issue and it got better as I stated above, but still does it. I see the pinpoint tests in the repair manual but not an electrical schematic that I could trace.

Nope, I think your breaker in the light switch is faulty, or you have a large draw somewhere. I had the same issue with my first deuce. If I ran the convoy lights and the headlights, everything would trip off after awhile, and I would have to wait and they would come back on.

Does it only do it when the engine isn't running? Mine would do it no matter what.

TedG

I believe this is your problem as Ferroequinologist mentioned. Replace the light switch completely with new. Inside of the 3 lever light switch is bi-metallic switch that will interrupt power if too many amps are drawn OR you have a short somewhere. If problem still occurs with new switch, check/replace flasher, bulb wattages, etc. and then clean ALL grounds (including marker light grounds) and install a ground harness kit (or make one). A ground harness kit is a simple harness that connects the control box, the ground on generator, the left rear head ground lug, the fire wall ground and the starter ground ALL together.

bfdvollie

We borrowed a switch and tested it and we're finding that yes it's the switch. Lights ran for over an hour with no issue. I found a site that shows how to rebuild one, but my Chief says if it's not feasible then go purchase the switch.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome, I can tell my wife tonight, that I was right for once!

Glad you got it fixed, it is a little nerve wracking to be driving down a two lane in the middle of the night and be plunged into darkness. Helps check for proper brake operation though!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks