• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are M51 Parts Readily Available?

gottaluvit

Thinking about an M51 IH, I found for a very reasonable price. This truck is way before my time, as I drove an M817 when I was in and now have the even more recent M929A2. Are all of these old beasts powered by a gasoline engine? Should I just pass on it with it needing a head gasket (and who knows what else)? I know I have my work cut out for me, but is there any value to a descently restored unit? Thanks for any input.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Parts for the big 6602 are readily available from old school dealers like White Owl and Sam Winer Motors. If the sheet metal on the truck is nice, I would be all over it, especially since gas is more reasonable now. The 6602 is a torque beast, and sounds incredible.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's got the big ole fuel sucking carbureter and spark plugs so it would be a gasser.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The 6602 (602 ci) has the most power of the three 39 series trucks, this summer, we are going to pull the heads from a 6602 powered m62 (wrecker), I had another set of heads from our spare 6602 milled with a 3/16 cut, this will increase the compression so using modern gas will decrease the fuel consumption under load, also plan on filling in the carb jets and redrilling, this along with electronic ignition should make a very usable 6602, we are going to install a co2 sensor so things can be dialed in.

Other then the low compression, the EXHAUST guides ARE the main issue in these engines, they are made of bronze, the 6602 makes a lot of carbon (due to the over fueling with the low compression), this with some oil film becomes valve grind compound which eats the bronze valve guides, I had valve guides made from high impact, high strength, ductile iron so no more eaten up exhaust valve guides, the original intake valve guides micked out to almost new specs., the exhaust was another story, they were worn so bad that the stems almost wobbled. There is NO seals for the guides, just guide to stem clearance, so keeping a close stem/guide clearance is IMPORTANT.

The 6602 has one of the nicest carbs I have ever seen, it is TWO complete ONE barrel carbs in one housing, the fuel bowel is suspended from the top which allows air to flow AROUND it, PREVENTING vapor lock. The after market zenith replacement for the original holly is a POS compared to the holly, and not rebuildable.

If you get the truck, change the coil to 12v from the stock 24v, the reason for this is that 24v coils are NOT made anymore, so the replacement 24v coil is nos, it may be NEW in the box but is OLD by date, allowing it to collect moisture over time and old age deterioration = failure, run 12v to a second ignition switch, the points do not care if 12 or 24 is run though them, this mod WILL save you a tow bill when the 24v coil dies.

Last edited:

gottaluvit

If you decide to pass on it,I may be interested in it if it isn't too far gone.
Well, it's a bit rough. It has sat for six years with dirt in the bed. The battery box is wasted, both steps are rusted bad, right windshield and left door windows are spiderwebbed, winch and it's driveshaft is robbed, tailgate is wasted, some rust holes in the bottom of the bed reinforcement metal, some rust on both fenders, bottom of right door has some visible rust and some riveted patchwork, all ten tires are bald, and I still havn't fully counted it as a pass. He is checking on delivery, and if that's reasonable, I will lowball an offer and go from there. It is over an hour away, and I don't know about towing it with my 5 ton. It probably could with no problems, but I have never towed something of that proportion and I'm nervous about it. Especially going at it alone. If I decide to pass you are the first to know. I feel it would make a good off road toy, but would cost a few thousand dollars to make it a good looking roadworthy truck.

That truck would be a good running project. Head gasket changes are super simple on those old engines. I miss the days when you could start and finish a head job in a day. I have a continental in a M45 here, it's one of the few military trucks I have that does 65 and likes it. They have a nice crisp throttle with plenty of power.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks