• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are M917 dump trucks street legal and suitable for commercial use?

ichudov

I am wondering about something.

If I look at M917 dump trucks from a PURELY UTILITARIAN perspective, completely disregarding their visual appeal:

How suitable are they really for being used commercially as a surplus hauling vehicle and to pull trailers?

Are they unreliable in real life use?

Also, how hard are parts to come by?

M-917 DUMP TRUCK

thanks!

i

Attachments

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
They are basically a civy truck that has some mods to make it military friendly (4 volt elec system, pintle hitch, blackout drive, etc.)

The 400 Cummins engine is reliable (up grades have the 60 series Detriot in them).

The CAT tranny in the early ones is good as long as you don't have mechanical issues....later ones have the Allison which is a good tranny too.

I have owned several M915's and an M916 and like them.

PeterD

To use it commercially you'd have to make sure you met all DOT rules (would not want to fail a DOT road-side inspection, for example.) This may be difficult to do, you would have to change the lighting (add ID lights front and rear for example) and there are probably other things that may need changing.

That said, those images are nice! Nothing better than a big truck!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To use it commercially you'd have to make sure you met all DOT rules (would not want to fail a DOT road-side inspection, for example.) This may be difficult to do, you would have to change the lighting (add ID lights front and rear for example) and there are probably other things that may need changing.

That said, those images are nice! Nothing better than a big truck!

Old thread. But I believe the Freightliner is good to go DOT wise at least my 915A2 is. Now my bumper is lower than the 916 and all the other big boys. Other than the bumper height on the big boys I would add some kind of extension to it. This way you blow the car out of the way instead of running over top of it which might cause you to flip over. Another reason I will never sell my 915A2 is if for some reason all states say they will not register X military vehicles I will show them it is just a street legal Freightliner painted camo.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea I like your A4's too. I was put up for adopted once and you have the chance to adopt me again so I can drive our trucks.
Also the only thing I added and I do not know if it was required was the sticker. The green one I mounted just because it was OD and I found it in another truck. Yes I also have one in the box with my flares and triangle reflectors.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well they have only sold a few A1s at 3 to 5x the price of the first generation.

The first generation has a higher GVWR than the A1

A0 is non electronic.

Easy to swap a manual into for faster speed and easier operation

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks