• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are there AWD all the time deuces?

Joeinderry

Going to look at a deuce and a half which the owner says is an m36. Looks like an m35 to me but I am no expert nor do I know what the differences are. Anyway he said the truck is all wheel drive all the time. Are there AWD all the time deuce and a halfs? Anyone know the differences between the m36 and m35? Thanks for any help.

machinist75

The m36 is the long bed version of the deuce. He may be talking about the sprague geared front transfer case instead of the air engaged locker. The sprague locks the front when the rears start to slip. Pain in the but to rebuild from what I hear.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The M36's are somewhat rare birds.......I had one and sold it to SCSG-G4 (Mike) who put a shelter on back of it.

If you can get it for a reasonable price I'd jump on it even if it has a Sprage transfer case.......they can be swapped out if you have the mechanical ability.

Stan Leschert

All that you have to remember about a Sprage Tcase, is that you can Never allow the truck to roll backwards when the tranmission is set for FWD motion, and the opposite...

If you do that, you are in rebuild mode.

Great simple system, but with less than fully trained operators ... expensive.

For a less than fully qualified Military Operator, I would prefer the air Tcase.

Or you could read the TM back to front several times and then start to apply the knowledge.

Joeinderry

Thanks everyone, would it still be worth buying if it is an M35 with the sprague transfer case? It has a plow and is on the road with 44k. Miles. Body looks decent so do the tires from what I can tell from pictures. Has a multifuel turbo. It's 3500.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Having a plow on a truck like that (long wheel base and no power steering) could be one of the reasons he's selling it.

If it is an M36 and is not rusted to sheet from road salt that is a steal. Buy it before he changes his mind.

Blendmaster2002

I had a Sprag truck if I remember correctly (someone will correct me if I am wrong) from when I replaced a wheel cylinder on it, You should be able to check its operation if he will let you jack up a front wheel remember the spider gears in the front axle will allow you to turn the front driveline over to check the Sprag, by putting the trans it in gear and turn the wheel It should stop after some turning in one direction or the other, you must have the truck off, park brake on, transfer case in high or low, rears blocked and select a transmission gear as on the Sprag its controlled by the rod on the rear of the trans.

My2cents, if it is an m36 you probably will not see another for sale for a long time in your local area if ever, they come up on SS every once in a while there was 2 on here, so if the truck is straight I would not even be concerned with the transfer case type or condition except to use as a bargaining chip at that price range, if it’s a 36 inspect the frame it has kind of a double frame between the wheelbase, a slight a small amount of rust will be normal and a slight separation the bottom frame lips due to some rust is ok ( over the years these trucks sat outside the water gets in the top and rusts between the double frame) but watch out for major rust or rust through you will know when you look, you can check to see if the frame is weak or bent by sighting down the top of the frame from the rear of the truck mine is nice and straight, hope this helps, also I wouldn’t worry about rusted sheet metal it can be fixed and or body parts replaced but it would affect the price, might be why its only 3,500.

Hope this helps.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
first, you will never know the true milage or hours, gauges are swapped often by mil and others. second if it has been used to plow snow and has been driven on salted roads, expect it to be completely rusted out in 5 years. otherwise condition is everything and that could be a good price. i would be a little concerned if the owner doesn't know what model it is. make sure to get a clean title that matches the frame #.

Katahdin

One note about the Sprag test, you should warm the transfer case up to operating temperatures (this is in the TM), ie drive it around some, etc. The test on mine has worked when warm and not when cold.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks