• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are there pros or cons

USMC8185

I have lots of questions but will slide them in a little at a time. Is there any pros or cons to buying KAISER, JEEP or AM GENERAL? Is one manufacturer better than the other? I don't see much difference from the pictures.

Thanks
Howard

datsunaholic

There really isn't, because they are all basically the same company. Kaiser got the contract for the trucks in the early 1960s (prior ones were built by REO) and built the trucks at the South Bend, Indiana plant that Kaiser bought from Studebaker in 1964. That was the "General Products Division" of Studebaker. The trucks were built as Kaiser-Jeeps from 1964-70. Kaiser sold the contracts and the General Products division to American Motors in 1970, and for 1970-71 the trucks were labelled as "General Products Corporation, Jeep Division" until American Motors rebranded it in 1971-72 as AM General.

ida34

If the truck has went through a depot rebuild you will have a mix master anyway. They pull them apart and basically rebuild them with the first part on the shelf. It may still say it is a 69 Kaiser-Jeep but that would only apply to the frame on a depot rebuild. Mine was never depot rebuilt but the engine, transfer case, and the diffs have been changed for rebuilt items.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe the older the better? Here in Ca, it has to be older than '75? to register it as historic.

oilcan

Just a little something from the peanut gallery...

I like the kaisers for sentimental reasons, but the difference doesn't amount to a hill o' beans.

And I've seen a wide range of years for the company changeovers. My 71 818's are Kaisers.

maybefixit

Was there a set date range where dual circuit brakes were seen versus single-circuit? I've always thought about getting a AM General if possible, assuming that it was the last company to build them new, and those would likely have the dual circuit setup. Also did the depot rebuilds change to a dual circuit?

As long as I'm asking, how would I know a dual-circuit from a single during a pre-buy inspection? I'm thinking it centers on the airpack, but don't know much beyond that.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was there a set date range where dual circuit brakes were seen versus single-circuit? I've always thought about getting a AM General if possible, assuming that it was the last company to build them new, and those would likely have the dual circuit setup. Also did the depot rebuilds change to a dual circuit?

As long as I'm asking, how would I know a dual-circuit from a single during a pre-buy inspection? I'm thinking it centers on the airpack, but don't know much beyond that.
Only the last trucks ('80s) had the dual circuit brakes. I'm assuming the dual circuit brakes on the A2 have the resivior mounted on the firewall like the M35A3 but I'm not for sure.

jasonjc

The MC is in the same place. There is a 2nd airpack behind the battery box. On the late '80's A2's. It was only on the Air Force truck's as far as I know.

Jinx

While browsing photos and various auctions, I've noticed a variation in grille designs. Some have a mesh cover, others don't. It seems like the mesh grilles are only available on the newer AM General trucks and not the Kaiser/Jeeps. Am I correct?

Random photos attached for comparison.

Attachments

jwaller

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While browsing photos and various auctions, I've noticed a variation in grille designs. Some have a mesh cover, others don't. It seems like the mesh grilles are only available on the newer AM General trucks and not the Kaiser/Jeeps. Am I correct?

Random photos attached for comparison.
The wire mesh did come about in later years (don't know exactly when) but alot of the older trucks had it added.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks