• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are these 5 ton wheels?

cookeemann

And is the best idea to re-center them with my deuce wheels?

I've read so many threads (back to 2004) that I'm more lost than when I started.

Simple and cheap is better as I'm remotely located. Affordable bolt on would be the best.

Thanks for any information.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
they are 5 ton combat rims
Well, YES... for combat; and YES for 5ton since some MTV's are rated 5ton also...
And NO, those are NOT the 5ton combat supersingle wheels from the M939A1/A2 series 5tons!

BTW, they could very well come from any of the 2.5ton MTV's also, or even the M1082 trailer; they all share the same wheels.

G.

goldneagle

The expensive part is getting them to fit a M109. You will need to get the centers cut out and have new center plate welded in with Deuce lug pattern. Adds $200 + to your total cost per wheel.

DUECE-COUPE

Mtv/lmtv rims. You can tell the difference in the location of the counter weight is missing from the opposite side of the ctis valve. The mtv family does not use the weight.

cookeemann

Yikes. $200 per wheel. Maybe I'll just mount them on the stock deuce wheels with new tubes.
Out of the eight, one was completely unserviceable, one had a place in the tread where it had skidded pretty good and the other 6 were "new" tread. And they're REALLY heavy. Loaded them onto my M105 trailer with two other stock wheels by myself.:razz:

cookeemann

OKAY, so the best I can do is about $650 to get the 395s mounted on my stock wheels. There has to be a comparable option for adapter for recentering 5 ton wheels to 6 lug deuce wheels......anyone ....... anyone..... Beuller..... Bueller..........:?

cookeemann

$500 5 ton wheel adapters

Awesome. Local guy'll make me some adapters for my 5 ton wheels to mount on my M109 for $500 apiece. What a deal. I don't think so!

Google turns up nothing, search on this site is like a needle in a haystack. Lots of reading about the science involved in making them but I don't have a machine shop.

Looks like I might be putting some 5 ton wheels and tires on ebay.:drool:

DUECE-COUPE

check with 100dollarman. he makes the plates, and you can mount them in front, or press out the studs and press them in the plate and mount them that way.

ChuckM

Why didn't you have a plan before you bought them? Maybe your subconscious is telling you need to also buy a 5ton to put them on.:beer:

Trango

Several years ago, I made my own rims for the deuce. I had a friend CAD up the 6 on 8.75" bolt circle and center hole, and I took it down to the waterjetters and had them cut it into some 5/8" plate. I figured that the strength of the plate would more than compensate for the fact it wasn't dished (pressed). The OD was sized to exactly fit a couple of 22.5" dayton-style rims, which would be the recipients of the plates.

I straight-cut the bolt holes, and honestly, I didn't care too much about making it lug centric or hub centric.

I welded it in with my production-size Miller machine, using a straightedge as a guide to keep runout at a minimum.

Overall runout at the edge of the rum was probably less than a few tens of thou's. These ran as straight as any production rim and worked great for the years I drove that truck.

Just an idea for the group. It was really not that hard.

Best,
Bob

cookeemann

Great info all. I scoured the internet and found a bunch of folks that make their own wheels, Rockwell centered 15" and such but not many folks with centers (at least advertised).

I've got a line on some now so we'll see. I just see a ton of bobbers running them but can't find just the centers for what I would consider 'reasonable'. May just cut out the centers from my stock wheels and have 'em welded in the 5 ton centers. It doesn't seem like rocket science........

I'll post photos and info as it progresses. Thanks all!!:beer: