• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are you gellin?

kassim503

Hey, so ive been putting off some pmcs & repairs on the 1009, but I finally got the itch to drive it again. Got in and laid on the new starter & glows, fired right up. But then it started surging and idling high, eventually stalling. It starts if it sits for a little bit and gives me about 1-3 seconds of run time. Also, I opened the water drain on the filter and got 3-4 drops to come out, and thats being generous.

Had these symptoms, due to a leak in some fuel line. All the lines are new so im partially ruling this one out. I think its gelled fuel b/c it still has a full tank of summer diesel, and it peaked at 22F today.

Would plugging in the block heater actually warm the block enough to heat the IP and injectors up enough to get things flowing again? I dont have any real heat source for this truck, unless a blow dryer actually would put a dent in something like this.

I did throw in a bottle of diesel 911, and 10 ounces of power service conditioner. The diesel 911 bottle says that in case of gelling, remove filters and refill with a 50% mix of 911, but im a little weary of adding something so thin in such high quantities right down the throat of the IP.

Westech

CPL
sorry to tell you but even summer diesel wont jell till way below 0 and winter wont jell till -20* or so. I would plug in the block heater and give it a shot again but for sure its not jelled fuel.

rnd-motorsports

I would agree if its 20* its not the fuel gelled sounds like a leak or maybe plugged filter! how long has it set ? you said it started and run good for a bit I would look at filter its been in the teens here with wind making it in the single numbers and I have not had a problem mine set's outside with nothing added to fuel except the norm 5 to 1 mix of diesel/oil:driver: installing my kats block heaters today just to help on start up of cold engine:beer:

justinwregier

Never gelled in my M1009...

Yet! I hope it doesnt happen either.

When I first saw my M1009, being delivered on a trailer it was winter in NW OH. Snow, ice everywhere and temps in the teens and the truck started right up. I have had mechanical issues; glowplugs, starters, flywheel go bad but never have I had diesel gel.

I am in ATL now and lately at night it is getting into the low 20s but the truck starts right up. I probably should get some anti gel additive in the tank this week but I have been running pump diesel only for a while with no problems.

Last edited:

jooakes

Sounds like the same thing that happen to me when I replaced my lines to the tank .
I some how kinked the line when I reinstalled the tank and ending up restricting the fuel flow. I would first look at your new lines and make sure they are not kinked or leaking air in to the system.:grd:

kassim503

Agreed, frozen water at the bottom of the lines or the filter may be the culprit here. Gonna pick up some new fuel filters and primer bulb friday, see how she turns out saturday or sunday.

Oh and I tried cranking it today, sputter but couldnt get going on its own

max1008

Sorry to rehash an old thread. Its bee in the teens and singles here and my truck is stalling. I get fuel to my spin on filter but not after. Its a newer filter, put it on December 1. After it stalls i open the petcock on my filter and let some fuel drip and then crank it for 20 seconds and it will start. I can get about 2 miles down the road and same thing. I added PS white bottle last night and on my first stall today i put in some red bottle.
Any ideas why it gels so easily? I will change filter tonight and see how it goes tomorrow.

blhar15

Coming from the diesel and trucking industry, straight diesel #2 will start to gell around 17 degrees F. The diesel will start to form wax crystals and as it gets colder they will get worse. If there is any sort of biodiesel mixed in with the regular diesel it will incease the gelpoint tempurature. In Northern states stations will switch over to a winter blend of #1 and #2, wheras #1 has kerosene in it. The big problem we always see in Iowa is trucks coming up from the Southern states that were not preparred for the cold weather and they gel up. The safest bet is to use an additive such as Powerservice or Howes. We also use the 911, but yes if you are gelled you will need to replace your fuel filter as you will never fully get all the wax out of the filter elements. If you can get the truck pulled in to a warm environment to warm up first, that works best instead of battling outside.

Goodluck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks