• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are you kidding me? Squealling coming from generator

w3azel

I would say pull your belts off and wash them in a bucket of warm water and dish soap. Then give your pulleys a good cleaning. Had the same issue with my diesel pickup with its alternator. New alternator but no change to the high pitch squeal. Pulled the belt gave her a bath and never heard a chirp afterwards. Also don't bother with the spray can belt cleaner that crap is worthless.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ok, all joking aside now..........

Isn't the activation of the charging circuit what creates the load? I.e master power switch is off, belt is simply turning the reciprocating mass of the alternator. Switch on, alternator "sees" battery voltage and attempts to charge, alternator sees load, belts squeal, tom posts, etc.?
Sure that works for me.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once belts have been squealing awhile, they glaze over and need to be replaced - together. I hope you kept your original alternator because it sounds like it is probably still good.

EWhytsell

Quick way I diagnose that type of noise is by spraying the area with anything handy while the engine is running, ie hit the belts and the noise stops, then the belts aren't tight or are worn.

I'd bet the belts too. If you can get an ammeter and put it into series with the batteries, you can watch the system load. Generally you get a heavy discharge from the batteries, after engine starts the generator will load up to recharge the batteries, but in less than a minute the batteries will have taken enough of a charge for generator to unload. ( Yes I had a loose belt, and it didn't take long for the batteries to take enough of a charge for the generator to unload. )

usmcm35a2

Mine was doing that, but it was the voltage regulator would go full charge once it got warm. Voltage gauge would jump to the red zone and the belts would squeal until turned off master switch. 2 new voltage regulators later still doing it. Bought a 24 volt marine alternator and everything works fine now. So, if still doing it after belt change, check voltage gauge and see if its overcharging when your belts squeal.

Diecorpse

I had that problem. After talking to a retired army vet who worked in the motor pool, he told me those alts are junk. Mine sqealed then the brushes were gone and the volt reg went out. I had it fixed. Six months later, same thing happend again. I removed alt and the alts pulley. Baught an Ac Remey 24v 120 amp alt with a pair of Napa dozer batteries. No problem since and it's cheaper than the original stuff and is found locally. Also has more power, stronger batteries that winds the motor when starting and it starts quick. Even when its really cold. Good luck to your endeavour. I hope this info helps you and/or others in similar situations.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks