• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Armor Plate Thickness

F18hornetM

I think i kinda like the angle iron frame idea too, 1" angle is not large and can be bought in different thicknesses, so not very heavy. Can fill with plywood and cover with sheetmetal. As far attaching everything with out welding. You could always rivet or even screw/bolt things together. Once all painted would "look" real and thats all that really matters. How tall are the sides? The shorter the less worry over everything flexing i would think.
Good luck, keep us posted on what you come up with.

jamesfrom180

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP9DeuHDbkk[/media]
Automix is pretty cool stuff. I would use it and body filler to make the sheet metal attachments but still weld the frame. I would use the method shown for automobile roofs. I would stop about a 1/4" short and use body filler to complete the seam. This can then be sanded and blended and when painted will look like one single plate that someone dressed the edge with a grinder. If you use thin wall 1x1 square stock or appropriate dimensional square stock the seems will be the same front and back.

In essence you are building composite panels. With out stumbling through some calculations I would give a SWAG as you might see about a 60%-80% weight reduction. I think the larger the thickness the greater the gain.

Someone needs to do this because I'm getting way to interested in it. That means it will cost me dearly. :jumpin:

Last edited:

WarrenD

I think i kinda like the angle iron frame idea too, 1" angle is not large and can be bought in different thicknesses, so not very heavy. Can fill with plywood and cover with sheetmetal. As far attaching everything with out welding. You could always rivet or even screw/bolt things together. Once all painted would "look" real and thats all that really matters. How tall are the sides? The shorter the less worry over everything flexing i would think.
Good luck, keep us posted on what you come up with.
The sides on the short box trucks seem to calculate out at just under 48" (varies from 42" to 46" depending on the truck) so for planning purposes, I'm using 48" and will cut down as needed.
I looked into Trex yesterday, I used it for my deck years ago and now they have sheets up to 4'x10'. The problem is that the sheets are just plastic, no wood like the decking. They flex alot and tend to break. The price was great, 4x8 sheet of 3/8 for $112, takes paint well and works like wood and are relatively lightweight (41 lbs), but I don't think it would hold up without a framework and support every 12".

WarrenD

While the idea of a framework would get the job done, another consideration is that I, speaking for my own self, am trying to accurately represent the technology used to build the gunbox. As such, I'm trying to replicate the look as closely as possible inside and out while saving as much weight, time and money possible. Carbon Fiber would be great, but I'd have to win Powerball to pay for it!!:jumpin:

L1A1

While the idea of a framework would get the job done, another consideration is that I, speaking for my own self, am trying to accurately represent the technology used to build the gunbox. As such, I'm trying to replicate the look as closely as possible inside and out while saving as much weight, time and money possible. Carbon Fiber would be great, but I'd have to win Powerball to pay for it!!:jumpin:
I know I skipped the "weight" part in your quote ([thumbzup]), if you are not only trying to replicate the look & feel of the gun box but also the methods used to assemble one, you may have to bite the proverbial bullet and go with steel on this.
Matt

BlondeGuy

I've spoken to my nephew in the roofing business and think we've got it figured out.

My daughter wants to be able to switch easily from a gun truck to canvas top so that's why we are gonna do a shorty.

Gonna finish up a Lybian gun trailer then will move on to the gun truck shortly after Thanksgiving.

Thanks got all the great ideas an I'll post pictures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks