• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Army Corps of Engineers 1963 D6B Caterpillar Bulldozer

joshs1ofakindxj

Just purchased a 1963 44A D6B in good shape. It has an Army Corps of Engineers tag on it. I had some general questions...

- Did the military write TMs for dozers or did they just refer to the Cat manuals?

- Any chance this was ever painted green by the army? It has a failing yellow paint job at the moment, doesn't appear to be covering any green. I'm tempted to paint it green.

- This dozer is outfitted with a cable blade (appears all original). It seems the D6 of this vintage is commonly found with either a cable blade or hydraulic blade. I'm curious why the military would spec them with the cable blade? Simplicity? One less fluid to maintain?

I'm already a Caterpillar owner (1976 85J 955L and 1937 4H R5) and on the ACMOC forum. This is going to be a great addition to my little collection I play with on my farm.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There will be a TM for the dozer, engineer materiel starts with TM5-****. For sure it would have been 24087 semi gloss olive drab straight from Cat. You may find some green in areas that would not get sandblasted, such as under the seat, on top of the finals. No idea why the tractor was spec'd with a cable blade that late. Edit: probably still cable blade so a DDCU would be installed to deal with those cable scrapers the Army held onto forever.

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But dont let too much slack get in the cable when the blade hits the ground or you can cause a mess ! All you have is the weight of the blade to use for down pressure so till you get the feel for the balance of the tractor just barely let the blade touch the ground when trying to cut grade . My first 2 doziers were a Cat D-6 and a D-8 cable blade that i got started on and luckily enough they both had been converted to electric starter instead of the old pony motors and every operator ought to have to start on a cable to learn how to start cuts and angle slopes without hydraulics then its all a breeze when you have real down pressure .

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got it home after some scheduling issues with the trucker!

Looks good next to the 955L!

Found the hour meter on the engine and it only shows 1473 hours!

The Cat manuals are trickling in from purchases on ebay and I started ordering filters to freshen it up.
Got all you will ever need rite there ! Put you a coffee can over the exaust if there going to sit alot it saves rusting the bottom of the mufflers out too soon and they will blow off when you crank them up ! And always put all blades/buckets /booms/forks/ on the ground when your done with them ! These things are magnets to young kids are about when your not there and one could crush the other in a miisecond all over curiosity !

joshs1ofakindxj

I always cover the intake and exhaust with buckets or cans, also throw tarps over the seats and dash.

The only reason the 955L loader arms are up is because I changed the oil and have some other down time maintenance to do. I have the loader arms safety lever engaged so they can't fall down. It's on the opposite side shown in the picture. You can't disengage it without a 3/4" drive ratchet and a big socket.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks