• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Armymans M109

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OLDCHEV4X4 said:
Good looking truck!
Why do they use copper fuel line in the first place? It seems to me that steel line would would be the way to go.
Steel line corrodes over time. Copper doesn't. It's a trade off, I guess, the military siding instead with large-diameter copper line that won't corrode. It's also easier to replace than steel is, when it does get messed up.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
The thing is I have seen them abuse equipment right in front of me. Give a man a forklift without a vested interest in what he is lifting and that spells trouble. My truck was clearly abused by a forklift and the fresh paint scrapes are an indication of negligence and that is all that is needed to be proven to charge a Soldier for damage. GL is not trying to fix this and until they are held accountable they will continue to damage equipment. My truck was delivered to them in running condition. They allowed the batteries to be stolen and caused that damage. I am putting that all behind me on this truck since it is a nice blessing to get one in such shape.

Thanks to my sons who recovered and espcially to John for storing it and posting these pictures

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steel would get crushed just like the copper via the forklift. Steel line is a bit more brittle too.

ida34

When these trucks were designed everyone was using copper for lines on cars. I don't know what year the auto industry started using steel lines but copper used to be the norm. I had to replace copper lines on my M146 and glad hands on the front. They just put the forks under it and lift what ever. In my case they took out both copper lines on both my trailers along with the electrical wiring. One of my M146 trailers did not have landing gear and GL was nice enough to lift it for me. My trailers were back to back. When he started lifting the one trailer I actually saw one fork break off a glad hand and it was also about ready to pierce the front of the trailer. There is a small dent there. The only thing that stopped the carnage was me yelling to stop. I had Armada pull out the trailer that had landing legs and and had the gl buy push the trailer forward from the back. This gave him enough room to lift it from the side. This allowed me to hook up while he was supporting it. Both trailers were already damaged before he began to help me so his helping me did not do all the damage. I would rather deal with the damage instead of having to try and lift the trailer myself but the damage is frustrating. They need a spotter and they need to treat this stuff as inventory not scrap.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to hijack the conversation, but the shop van electrical part is a problem for most folks. Either replace the two prong plug and receptical with something else, or troll evil bay looking for one to match up.

There may be another way! This past Thursday, I talked with a guy that works for Cooper (Cooper owns Crouse-Hinds) and he is checking to see what the price would be for a group purchase of the APJ6275 plug (the correct one for the van end). Current list price is about $175 through the wholesaler/dealer network. I'm thinking we would need to get at least 25 ordered to be able to purchase direct. Who else is interested?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ida34:
Well said I do not begrudge them but you hit it right on the head inventory not scrap. It is the old legalize As Is condition leaves them an out no matter what they do. Too bad they do not have to sign a hand reciept and then inspect it with the customer to make sure it is in the same shape they recieved it. I am glad to get such a nice truck and the damage as you say is frustating but not a war stopper

Green_gator

David,
That is an excellent example of the M109. I am in the process of tearing down the inside of mine for a camping build up. One thing I found on the electrical wiring inside the van. Mine looked like it was in great shape until I went to move it around some and the insulation crumbled in my hand. I am replacing all of the wiring to the lights in the box now as part of the work. You may want to check yours unless someone knows if this is a standard replacement item when they do the rebuild.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I know it sure is a blessing to have friends here on this site. As a collector and man who is nuts about these trucks and trailers the friends here more than make up for any GL or DRMO shortcomings. It is my pleasure to log on each time and find more great information and meet another Steel Soldier especially ones who feel the same way I do. I am very pleased with this truck and sure hope to make it into a muti-purpose camper/command post/WTSHTF survival vehicle.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am so waiting to get my hands on this truck come spring. If you get a chance to spray paint the place where the fork scrapped it so it does not rust that would be great.

Thanks again John you are the best