• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Artic heaters

M1075

Anybody know the BTUs and the CFMs that heater and fan puts out out on one?
I had one unit with a test card that included electrical amps, volts, fuel flow rate, pressue, venturi, inlet/outlet temperature, air flow, btu output, combustion air pitot and exhaust. It showed outlet temp as 200F/339F (Low/High) and BTU as 14,128/27,962. I don't remember the CFMs but might be able to look it up.

IMA944T

I have looked in classifieds and found two posting one for 5 ton M809 series for $500 and one for NIB van body 2.5 M109 M185 trucks. Being new to these, will these fit my M35A2 with a some modifing and where do they actually mount. I already have incab heater but have some different plans for this other heater. Everybody says they put out up to 300 degree of heat so what type of duct work do they use to handle this heat. Is the control box for the vent the same as the regular in cab heater? Looks almost the same to me.
Is the output of BTU's adjustable on this heater? And how is it adjustable. Fan speed or the amount of fuel that is feed to it? Has anybody ever mounted one under the hood?

blacktop

I purchased 2 heater kits form m1075 and they are great.Yes the heater box controls are the same. They are ment to be under the hood and the fan speed is constant only the air temp changes (15000 BTUs vs 30000 BTUs) from high to low. All the things they say about them are true, the heat they put out is amazing and you will get hot at -20 (rare in ND) and if you pull the defrost to early you will crack your windshield. I would try to find a complete kit as all the parts are there and in the long run its probubly cheeper that trying to find all the parts to make it work.

IMA944T

Does the artic heater mount where the water type heaters go? What kind of duct doesn't burn up with almost 300 degree heat?? I guess the $400.00 isn't bad then. I would like to know the difference between the two heaters listed are.
And when you say 15000 and 30000 BTU does it only have a high and low temp setting or is it variable between these settings.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the artic heater mount where the water type heaters go? What kind of duct doesn't burn up with almost 300 degree heat?? I guess the $400.00 isn't bad then. I would like to know the difference between the two heaters listed are.
And when you say 15000 and 30000 BTU does it only have a high and low temp setting or is it variable between these settings.
You'll need the orange colored "SCAT" silicone type ducting (see image).
Fixed settings for high and low.
Air delivery: 100 to 130 CFM...

Attachments

Last edited:

baxter

The duct that came in my arctic heater kit was the same that was installed with the hot water heater.and yes it installs in the same place as the other heater.you can see the heater in this pic.

Attachments

IMA944T

Hey M1075
I am in Oklahoma city also and want to purchase a complete kit. E mail me at
BUDDCO2003@YAHOO.COM and maybe we can get together this week. I was about to order one now when I noticed you were in town. Are yours new with paper work?

blacktop

I can vouch the M1075's kits are complete and have all the install papers. I had great a great experience dealing with him.

baxter

Maybe that is why the air coming out of the diverter is 320deg. Maybe getting cooler air into it would cool it down a bit.The arctic heater kit actually comes with a cover to put over the air intake by the fender, but I do like the idea of fresh air.

blacktop

Any potential problem with using engine compartment air? I think I would add ducting to get fresh air.
Bjorn

Are the heaters you use pulling fresh air from a outside source? I think it would be a benifit to have outside air but I wonder how it would affect the heater operation.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn

Are the heaters you use pulling fresh air from a outside source? I think it would be a benifit to have outside air but I wonder how it would affect the heater operation.
My only concern would be contamination since you are breathing the air...no effect on heater operation.

I have now made some changes to the heater wiring for a "Blower only" mode and can use the system for fresh (=cold) air with the existing duct work. More on this later.
Edit: Added image. Oh, and the coolant heater draws air from inside the cab, but much less, since it's only combustion air.

Attachments

Last edited:

blacktop

I think this weekend I wil try a outside intake using the stock scoop on the side. My only concern is when I am pushing snow it tends to fly back over the top of the plow and make a fine snow mist the covers the front of the truck. I wonder if moisture entering the heater would cause any problems? I could turn the scoop around to draw towards the back of the truck.

baxter

My only thought is if they had designed it to need fresh air the kit would come with the parts to do it and would be on the plans. But like I said before I am curious to see how it works and if it is better I will do it also. I do love how you guys improvise and make things better keep up the great ideas.

blacktop

Ok so here is what I came up with. I used the hose flange off the old coolent type heater box and redrilled it to bolt on the fuel heater over the fan intake. I ran the hose under the core support brace so there is a low spot for any water to collect. So far so good, there was a light snow today and there was moisture in the hose but the heater seems to work fine. It does seem like the air in the cab is cleaner. I think a diverter box would be the best for rainy-snowy days.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe that is why the air coming out of the diverter is 320deg. Maybe getting cooler air into it would cool it down a bit.The arctic heater kit actually comes with a cover to put over the air intake by the fender, but I do like the idea of fresh air.
The temperature is related to the calibration of the fuel control valve and can be seen from James' (M1075) post above, your output temp agrees with the "HI" setting.
My readings (image posted previously) were more downstream and would not be a good reference in general since I was more interested in the drop across parts of the ducting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks