• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AS-1729/VRC antenna cb conversion

epitts

Hi Eric,

To use your stock mount (what type?), if you can find any kind of base insulator that fits your mount (AB-15 type, or many other bases like it), then add a short antenna. Since you only need a short radiating element, I think I'd use a piece of thin 1" tubing, adapted to clamp to the base spring, and cut that for minimum reflected power. You could hose clamp it around the outside of the top of the stinger on the base. The large diameter will widen the SWR minimum and you might get a good match over the whole band. Seal the top with a plastic cap or crutch tip, and paint it OD. I think that'd look cool, and I know it'd work well.

BTW, a switching base like MX-6707 for AS-1729 antenna would not work.

Bob WB4ETT
Thanks for the info "stock mount" is the mounting bracket on the truck that the antenna base mounts on. I have seen these antenna's mounted on the alum poles as you say. Most antenna's in the range (118-136) seem to be about 22" long. Was hoping some one new of a longer whip type antenna.

Thanks again

Jerchambers

This is great info. I just intalled a Cobra Classic 29 and the fender mount with a AB-15 base and the MS-116-117-118 and cut it down to a total of 108 inches im getting a good signal i had not not tested the ranges yet but i think my SWR is
1:1.3 its on my M1009
How did you mount the ab15 base to your cucv? i have one and the original antenna bracket/brush guard and would like to know.

cucv1833

How did you mount the ab15 base to your cucv? i have one and the original antenna bracket/brush guard and would like to know.
I mounted the antenna mount on the back right side on the truck. Then I mounted the AB-15 to the bracket. It's a perfect fit. Then tied the antenna down to the front brush guard on the truck. I hope this helps.

Jerchambers

I mounted the antenna mount on the back right side on the truck. Then I mounted the AB-15 to the bracket. It's a perfect fit. Then tied the antenna down to the front brush guard on the truck. I hope this helps.
I have the CUCV antenna Bracket and an AB15 which from what I can tell is too small for the CUCV bracket/mount's hole. The AB15 is 2" in diameter and the mount hole is more.

notsosanestan

i finally got my CB working with my AS-1729/VRC base and antenna. i got a conversion cable with a BNC m on once side and a PL-259 on the other. Im sure the SWR wont be that great but i only will be using this for talking to my friends while wheeling.

m38mike

I have the CUCV antenna Bracket and an AB15 which from what I can tell is too small for the CUCV bracket/mount's hole. The AB15 is 2" in diameter and the mount hole is more.
Jerchambers,
two different ways to make your AB15 work with your mount. I'm not sure how wide the hole is in your mount, but as you can see, the AB15 has a wide contact surface between the two insulators. If they will cover the hole in your mount then the easy thing to do would be to put the bottom insulator in place, and fill the gap in the hole between the insulator and the edge of the steel with silicon sealer. That creates a silicon washer that will keep the insulator from moving from side to side. Screw the top insulator down onto that and let it set for a couple days and you should be good.

The second thing you could do would be to get some heavy sheet steel or thin plate steel and cut a 2" hole in it. Then bolt that to the antenna mount and put the AB15 in the 2" hole. Either way, you should be good to go with the AB15.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
The second thing you could do would be to get some heavy sheet steel or thin plate steel and cut a 2" hole in it. Then bolt that to the antenna mount and put the AB15 in the 2" hole.
That is exactly how the original military adapters for installing the AB-15 in the MX-6707 bolt pattern work. Just a round plate with a hole for the AB-15 in the center, and four bolt holes matching the MX-6707 bolt pattern.

moose53

The AB-558 antenna base is essentially the same thing as the AB-15, but designed to fit the mounts for the MX-6707. They're cheap, fit without cobbing anything up, and even look better than the AB-15. They use the same whip sections and should work fine for CB...

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks