• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ASK up-armored doors

ACBMWM#

I plan on turning my project HMMWV into an M1151. As most you know, armor survivability kit's are not really avail. to us normal folks, making it a little more difficult to build an M1151.
So I have been talking with a buddy of mine who owns a local CNC shop about making some doors and body panels with either the water jet or the Laser CNC.
I plan on making a cardboard template of the X-doors I currently have so they will fit correctly. I am not sure if I want to make them out of aluminum just for looks or actually ballistic steel and ballistic polycarbonate and go all out.

I am curious on what you guys think about this idea. Would anyone else be interested in something like this?

Here is essentially what the rig would look like in the end.

Attachments

whyme

plan on getting shot at? the added weight for a full up armor is rough on the suspension but resale would prob be very high. on the other hand if your going through all the work then might as well go all the way.

ACBMWM#

plan on getting shot at? the added weight for a full up armor is rough on the suspension but resale would prob be very high. on the other hand if your going through all the work then might as well go all the way.
Hey you never know! hahaha
No I mainly want it for use at shows n maybe movies stuff and what not. I would do it for the added value and authenticity of the vehicle. Not to get shot at :wink:

whyme

authenticity would be key to value, sure the simple fact that it is armored would add value but even more if it was as it "should be". again the weight is a huge consideration so your looking at more upgrades and allot more maintenance.

jwaller

I wouldn't. Why, it's not authentic and it's not worth the time to install it IMO. Others might like the look of it but not I.

So for me if it weren't the real deal then I wouldn't have it.

IF you were building it for a movie set and needed it to look the part then maybe I might consider it.

I also drive my Hmmwv everyday back and forth to work so I wouldn't want all that extra weight on my truck for no purpose other than to suck down more fuel and be harder on the truck.

I do have a Am general crows nest on my truck and would like for it to be an 1151 but I know I'll never find it all.

B3.3T

I agree completely with jwaller on all his points. Additionally, these heavily caused almost as many deaths due to the overloading the design as were saved by the armor. It is not heavy enough armor for IED protection but enough to seriously compromise every positive aspect of the vehicle. They are so heavy, off-roading is out of the question. Their handling and braking so poor, several soldiers drowned driving into canals. I would waste my time and effort.

icentropy

I agree completely with jwaller on all his points. Additionally, these heavily caused almost as many deaths due to the overloading the design as were saved by the armor. It is not heavy enough armor for IED protection but enough to seriously compromise every positive aspect of the vehicle. They are so heavy, off-roading is out of the question. Their handling and braking so poor, several soldiers drowned driving into canals. I would waste my time and effort.
+1, unless you're going to go aluminum for looks, then i say do it if you like it. but steel turns the HMMWV into something it was not designed to be (a slow-er crappy tank).

rickf

Originality does not seem to be an issue since he already has a Duramax in it. I do agree that the steel armor is a waste if it is not original because any value added by it is subtracted by the engine swap. If you have to do it then go with aluminum so you still have a fairly safe vehicle. Remember, the engine will now pull the steel armor with no problem but the brakes will not stop it any better.

Rick

ACBMWM#

I know all about the safety issues as I road in one of these with the Frag5 kit on a daily basis. I plan on doing a quick escape windshield if I do the armor package.
But keep in mind that this vehicles is not being designed to go into combat. it is a show vehicles and will seldom see the open road. So the chances of a car accident are very low.
If I plan on re-selling I will swap the Duramax for a 6.5L turbo. I just got a **** of a deal on a salvage 2008 GMC Sierra with 11k miles for less then $3500 so it was hard to pass up.
So with ALL that in mind I think it is just a cool idea so people get to see what their friend's, family etc. are using everyday over seas. Its not often you get to walk around and touch and up-armored HMMWV.

Also if anyone wants a copy of the TM for the install, removal, and parts for the ASK kit, PM me and I can email it over.

Last edited:

jpinst

If you are building a 1151 you might want to do what I did. First, a lot of the armor is available if you look hard enough. Secondly, do a search for "m1151 walk around" and you will find lots of nice pics that were meant for modelers but good for hmmwv builders just the same.

If you notice, the M1151 comes with some very limited basic armor. Mostly along the lower door frames of the body, the wheel wells, and a piece below the windshield. It was designed so that standard armor coudl be used to further up-armor the vehicles quite easily. Most of the armor I have is aluminum alloy and not that heavy. Thus, I just put on the basics and left off all the real heavy stuff, even though I have most of it. I also put on a frame strengthening kit and larger springs.

ACBMWM#

If you are building a 1151 you might want to do what I did. First, a lot of the armor is available if you look hard enough. Secondly, do a search for "m1151 walk around" and you will find lots of nice pics that were meant for modelers but good for hmmwv builders just the same.

If you notice, the M1151 comes with some very limited basic armor. Mostly along the lower door frames of the body, the wheel wells, and a piece below the windshield. It was designed so that standard armor coudl be used to further up-armor the vehicles quite easily. Most of the armor I have is aluminum alloy and not that heavy. Thus, I just put on the basics and left off all the real heavy stuff, even though I have most of it. I also put on a frame strengthening kit and larger springs.
I just snapped a bunch of detailed photos when I was in Kuwait last week.
I have pics of the M1151w/B1 M1151w/B3 and M1151 with a frag7 kit.

Well the part I like about the 1151 or 1165 is the rear body panel that covers the rear area. Instead of the slant back it is sort of cut off. Ive been thinking of cutting my slant back sponses and making my own. Do you have any palns of making something like that? If I might be interested in buying that.[thumbzup]

Attachments

Last edited:

ACBMWM#

Well the part I like about the 1151 or 1165 is the rear body panel that covers the rear area. Instead of the slant back it is sort of cut off. Ive been thinking of cutting my slant back sponses and making my own. Do you have any palns of making something like that? If I might be interested in buying that.[thumbzup]
I have the specs on paper. That would actually be the easiest part to make.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks