• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Asking for a friend

SgtMajHarper

I know a couple of guys that want to get into the green truck craze that has captured some of us. Both want to make a gun truck, either a deuce or a 5 ton. One guy wants to put a quad 50. on it (best dream) or both of them want to mount a .50 on it and maybe a .30 cal or two also. Nothing set in stone about what period of conflict, mainly looking for what would be the best truck to buy as far as price range, usefulness, parts availability, how much work is needed to keep them going, etc.. Just looking for input and opinions from the masses. Thanks !!

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could check out my build thread. Look for jeffhuey1n under the gun truck section. My best advice is to buy several books on the subject, especially the James Lyles book. David Doyle has a couple excellent books on the gun trucks as well. Other things to look into:gun mounts, regardless of size. I’d love to build a Quad 50 but they’re few and far between. Another consideration is authenticity. Will you build a replica or a tribute or, a combination of the two. The size of your truck will determine how much “stuff” you want to carry around. If you’d like a list of all the doodads, thingamabobs and doohickeys I put into my War Wagon, let me know. Every gun truck was different, no two exactly alike. There’s only one Vietnam War Gun Truck in existence, The “Eve of Destruction”, which is at the Army’s Transportation museum. That a great resource to have available.
Good luck on your build, whatever it may be!

Last edited:

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as trucks and parts availability, your limit is really your imagination and budget.

There are plenty of 5 tons and deuces out there, it just boils down to how much you want to invest initially. If you want a 90% teuck and prefer to start your build immediately, obviously you'll pay more for the truck. If you prefer and have the time to start with a rough truck, but allows you the option to not cut good metal etc, your cost will be lower.

As far as parts goes, we have some great vendors here on SS and our members are second to none to finding that "one thing" you're looking for.

Good luck and if you pull the trigger, so to speak, keep us updated!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I know a couple of guys that want to get into the green truck craze that has captured some of us. Both want to make a gun truck, either a deuce or a 5 ton. One guy wants to put a quad 50. on it (best dream) or both of them want to mount a .50 on it and maybe a .30 cal or two also. Nothing set in stone about what period of conflict, mainly looking for what would be the best truck to buy as far as price range, usefulness, parts availability, how much work is needed to keep them going, etc.. Just looking for input and opinions from the masses. Thanks !!
It may just be because I have seen the 5-Ton for so many years that would be my choice - if the opportunity came along. These Stewart & Stevenson trucks just don't look the part . Like Ken mentioned, knowing where you want to take the truck and how authentic it has to be could make a big difference in initial truck cost.

I don't know that they still have it these days, but the main gate @ Kings Bay was secured at the second level with a pair of HMMWV's. Both of those vehicles had Quad 50's mounted in the bed behind a tiny two door cab. That might be another idea...

Best on the quest! I sure would like to see what you guys come up with.

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It may just be because I have seen the 5-Ton for so many years that would be my choice - if the opportunity came along. These Stewart & Stevenson trucks just don't look the part . Like Ken mentioned, knowing where you want to take the truck and how authentic it has to be could make a big difference in initial truck cost.

I don't know that they still have it these days, but the main gate @ Kings Bay was secured at the second level with a pair of HMMWV's. Both of those vehicles had Quad 50's mounted in the bed behind a tiny two door cab. That might be another idea...

Quad 50s on a Humvee. That sounds awesome!

BLK HMMWV

Quad 50s on a Humvee. That sounds awesome!
That defiantly sounds interesting as a HMMWV owner.
Also may I suggest that if your planning on trying to re create or build a tribute truck try and do it in such away that it truly honors those that
lived and died in them. If your going to go as far as naming it after a Vietnam era truck please remember that it should be used , displayed and
enjoyed in such away as not to give/ bring a black mark to the original or those that fought in them.
Respectfully
BH

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While on the 2021 MVPA convoy, we stopped at the John E Kuenzl museum. They have recreated Brutus and Lil Brutus. Both are Viet Nam Gun trucks. We had the privilege of talking to a veteran that served on Brutus. If you want stand next to a gun truck and perhaps have an opportunity to learn from someone that served on one, it would be worth the drive to go see this fine museum. Here is a link: www.mvmec.org

4300 Poberezny Road,
Oshkosh, WI 54903-2194

Phone: 920.426.8615

Time for a road trip!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Were they like the navy quad 50 mount you sat in the middle of?

SgtMajHarper

Thanks for all the input gents, I always enjoy the exchange of ideas and suggestions that pop up based on experience and knowledge when someone asks a question on this site.

Neither of these guys are Vet's, but both wish they were to some degree......and that's not a prerequisite to getting a truck by any means. Talking with them a little more they are not so much onto making a tribute or era-based vehicle as much as just what is more economical and affordable that they can mount some class 3 MGs onto. They are more of the Knob Creek crew than car show and parade types.

The guy wanting to do the quad. does want to use the military gun mount like some of you mentioned on the M16 halftrack, but other than functionality, they aren't worried about authenticity so much. Part of me thinks it stemmed from looking at my trucks, having conversations and being friendly and they just kinda went with the idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks