• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Assist me with value of 1962 M35A2

us2keys

Hello all,
I'm new to this forum. I have never owned a Deuce. However I have been looking at a 1962 M35A1 multifuel that was converted to an A2 by military in PA. Not sure what all of that Intells but the guy wants $3500 for it. No winch. Has a little surface rust but nothing mechanically wrong with it as far as I know. He cranked it for me and it runs like a sewing machine and fired right up. Also has a few new parts that go with it. Ie: new fenders for the front, new in box extra fuel pump, etc. The main question that I have is: does it being a 1962 make it more or less desirable (valuable/worth) more? And should I stay away from any certain motors in the M35?
Also can I get it insured and street legal?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The year doesn't make too much of a difference, these trucks were in service and upgraded/rebuild numerous times, so that most are not the 'same' truck they started out as.

I would say that a good running, driving, stopping truck with little to no rust through, pretty decent tires, etc, especially with all the extra parts, would be a good buy at 3500. Does he have the title? that makes things easier.

Yes, very easy to get it legal and insured.

us2keys

Oh yeah, he also says it has 16,000 miles. I assume that's after the rebuild.
Also I've heared that there is a motor that had a lot of problems with head gaskets etc. not sure which one it was. But is that just a lot of hype about that motor. I'm prior military so I know the ell that theses truck get put through. I won't be putting it through that so I guess I'm less likely to blow a head gasket? I just don't want to get screwed on ths deal. This being the first one that I would own and all? I tried to find a few picks that I took of it but not sure what I did with them. :?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The head gaskets fail when people abuse them, or the engine wasn't put together right.

I wouldn't trust the odometer. They commonly get changed, and not always due to rebuilds.

I've picked up nice trucks with 70k on the OD, and picked up dogs with 4k

DeucesWild11

I would check with your local DMV office about the bill of sale. Not to hard to go there and tell them what you would like to do. They will let you know exactly what they require. In the case of DMV it's easier to find out what you need then try to figure it out afterwards. In NY you don't necessarily need a title we have transferrable registrations..

The price sounds good. Your main thing with these trucks are the brakes. Make sure it stops well and plan on going through the whole system after you purchase to make sure it's all OK. You only have single stage brakes on these trucks unless they were upgraded but that's not common. So that means if you have a leak and loose the bakes then you have NO BRAKES!

Let's see some pics when you get a chance. I don't think you can go wrong at that price..:beer:

Chief_919

No title. Has a GA bill of sale. How hard it that to get changed? I'm from NC and they can be hard to deal with sometimes.
As I mentioned on the phone I will have the NC title in a month or so after jumping through the DMV hoops, or you can take it as is and I will get the bill of sale from the owner in GA made out to you, and from that you can get an NC title.

These guys will fill you in on all the ups and downs of these trucks, and if you want to see it again just give me a ring.

If you guys didn't guess yet, he is looking at one of my trucks:razz:

us2keys

LOL!! Sorry I didn't mean to go behind your back or anything. I just don't know anything about these trucks so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage. Again, sorry. I was just trying to get a second opinion. I don't know anybody that has one to compare it to. Me and a friend of mine may come by in the next few days just to smoke it over and maybe make deal on it.

Chief_919

LOL!! Sorry I didn't mean to go behind your back or anything. I just don't know anything about these trucks so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage. Again, sorry. I was just trying to get a second opinion. I don't know anybody that has one to compare it to. Me and a friend of mine may come by in the next few days just to smoke it over and maybe make deal on it.
No problem at all, I am glad you are asking the guys here- they will not steer you wrong.

It is always good to do your homework when looking at these!

Akicita

If it's an A1 or A2, it has a manual trannie. You'll have to get used to the shift pattern. It's not the standard H configuration. No big deal really. You'll figure it out your first time out with the old girl.

tco3129

Sounds like a fair deal. You gotta love big trucks and not mind turning a wrench to own one of these. I started out green (not OD) and fell in love. When the love dies I'll buy a couple FOR SALE signs and move on. Right now I'm having a ball!2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks