• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Assistance Needed! electronic gurus...Prm -34 test se

HOWEY

Guys, ive just purchased a Prm -34 test set from the states and apon applying 6 volts on the self check position all i get is the mhz led lit, no numeric led..? The unit itself looks NOS..
Im at a dead end here, waited a long time to purchase one and its not playing ball.
Is there anyone on the site can look and possibly repair it?
I will obviously pay for shipping and your time also, PayPal or bank transfer, what ever suits.
Thanks, Paul from Ireland. ..

Last edited by a moderator:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you read the TM (TM-11-6625-3015-14) to see how it is supposed to be used? When all else fails, RTFM. Because then you can say "when I do paragraph x-x of TM 11-6625-3015-14, it does not produce the results the next paragraph says should be there". THEN, the guru's can give you more specific things to try. Try it that way, you might be pleasantly surprised.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a thread here on SS that might help: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?29322-Radio-Test-Set-TS-3957-PRM-34

Read post number 7 which describes the initial test with power off.

What are you using to power the PRM-34? Battery (4 AA's)? Is it good? A bad battery could easily power up a little bulb but not have enough ooomph to light up the display. A corroded battery holder contact could give trouble too. Maybe use a voltmeter to check battery voltage under load.

Here's another good reference: http://www.prc68.com/I/PRM34.shtml. Brooke Clarke's website is a good one to bookmark!

The manual is available on Radionerds: http://radionerds.com/images/5/5c/TM_11-6625-3015-14.PDF. That's another great site.

I do not have a PRM-34 so can't make further recommendations. If your use for the PRM-34 is for testing VHF military radios, and not for the PRM-34 specifically, there is another military RF power meter / reflectometer that is much simpler, the one for a German SEM-25 and SEM-35. Perhaps that test set would be easier for you to find and avoid shipping across the pond? That set uses analog meters, and no battery! I can't find the model number but will add edit if I can find it..

Bob
WB4ETT

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

Search for Steve Haney in the search box. He is in Texas and does great radio work. He is also willing to help over the phone or email. He's a good guy and very knowledgable.

HOWEY

Have you read the TM (TM-11-6625-3015-14) to see how it is supposed to be used? When all else fails, RTFM. Because then you can say "when I do paragraph x-x of TM 11-6625-3015-14, it does not produce the results the next paragraph says should be there". THEN, the guru's can give you more specific things to try. Try it that way, you might be pleasantly surprised.
I have Mike, its initial test is done before anything is hooked up with 4 fresh AA,s (self check) push test button, indicator display should light up 1.000, it does not i have the little mhz dot lit but not the display, falls at the first hurdle.... Manual says to replace either one of the main modules until unit behaves. I dont have spare modules, this is why i asked for assistance...

papakb

When Cincinnati Electronics shut down their production line in Mexico I bought everything they had left in process, including all of the ICs for the '34. The Harris chips are a common failure and as far as I know aren't available anywhere else. I also have full schematics for the boards. The biggest problem in repairing them is the darn conformal coating on the circuit boards I'd be happy to forward a set to you if you'll PM me an email address.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

BUCKSGT

I got this from K4CHE, Make sure you do this when you use 4 AA batteries to power the PRM 34. A 4 cell (6 volt) battery pack can easily fit inside the battery compartment but a diode
must be placed in series with one of the leads to drop the pack to approximately 5.5 volts.
Wire the diode on one of the sets power leads first before testing, it serves as a reverse voltage
protection device in the event of one of those little bench mistakes that we all have made.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks