• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Assistance Needed, Heavy-Duty Dodge 360 Owners?!?

Clueless Boomer

Can any owners of vehicles with Dodge 360 engines help me out here? I’m trying to figure out which engine/head casting #’s identify the heavy duty version of the Dodge LA 360, the 360-3. It’s the version for truck & RV (and I assume, military) use. If anyone can post the block casting # from their 360-3, it would be very helpful. (It’s located on the driver’s side above the starter, in this form: 4006830-360-2.) The best I’ve been able to do is narrow it down to 2 or 3 #’s by clicking the link to a guide from mymopar.com. Their Engine/Head Numbers Guide 1942-2000, shows 5 engine casting #’s in the V8 Trucks & Industrial section located near the back. It shows that 3 were designated for gasoline-powered trucks and vans from years 1989-1975. However, it does not specify which #’s apply to the 360-2, and which apply to the 360-3 version.

I’ve found there are several ways to differentiate versions of the 360 engines, including:
• VIN # (5[SUP]th[/SUP] digit = K on 360-3 version)
• oil sump location in the pan (van=front, car=center, truck=rear)
• 2 bbl vs. 4 bbl carburetor (360-3 has 2 bbl)
• presence or absence of A.I.R. (smog) in heads (360-3 has none??)
• EGR valve (360-3 has one)
• spark plug thread diameters––14mm vs. 18mm dia.on 360-3

Why am I making a big deal over this? I'm trying to figure out if an engine I'm buying is an LA 360-3 heavy-duty engine or not. It came from a 1978 RV, its block casting # is 4006830, & it has a rear sump oil pan. I don't know its head casting # yet or spark plug size (it's in a yard halfway across the country.) Its heads match a photo from page 23 of that guide showing the 1990-75, 360 Dodge W/A.I.R. head. But these post-smog heads are mounted on what should be a pre-smog engine. (Was original motor replaced?) Any idea what I've got, or which block/head casting numbers conclusively identify the heavy-service 360-3 engine? Your help would be much appreciated, since I want to be certain the engine I'm investing in rebuilding is the correct one to upgrade the (deceased) 318 in my 1973 Winnebago. My apologies for dragging a civilian question into your military forum, but your members are the most knowledgeable I've found on the 318 to 360 engine swap and a slew of other topics of interest for my project. You’ll have my sincere thanks for any assistance your Dodge boys can offer.
Clueless Boomer

randini

I have a 1977 RV with a 360 engine. It has the AIR heads, without a catolytic muffler. The air pump seized and I just removed it. This was a time when you would find all kinds of odd combinations i.e. Air heads on pre-smog engines. The Air heads where designed to add outside air to mix with exhaust, to improve the burn-off in the catolytic muffler.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Consider a 6bt swap. Your Winnie will get maybe 6 mpg, thats 50 cents a mile. You wont want to drive it anywhere. Thats the fate of my M880.

Clueless Boomer

Thanks for the reply, randini. Interesting to know my engine & heads aren't the only strange mashup out there. Would you be able to check if the 5th digit in your VIN # is a "K"? That K would make it a 360-3 engine. Then I know it might involve some gymnastics, but if you'd be able to check that engine casting # (driver's side, above the starter) that would help me know if the engine I've got is the right one to rebuild. Thanks for your feedback!
Clueless Boomer

Clueless Boomer

Hey, randini––that would be a huge help! I'm coming down to the wire to the point I need to pull the trigger, probably tomorrow. I hear that the 360-3 block is a chrome alloy premium casting that can stand up to the heat of a constant load better. I hope your casting # will point the way to which # is the right core to rebuild with. If you could check your VIN at the same time, that would about cinch it. Thanks for the help!
Clueless Boomer

Clueless Boomer

Hey, randini––another RV'er was able to access his block casting number yesterday, a '76 Travco with a 360-3. His VIN # 5th digit was not a "K"––that must be the VIN code for Dodge trucks, not independent RV's built on the Dodge chassis? Anyhow, for your & others' info, his block casting # matched the one on the engine I bought––4006830-360-7. And a dealer subsequently confirmed that # as a 360-3 through the Specifying Dept. at Mopar Direct Connect Technical Line. So it's official, and you're relieved of duty crawling around in your motorhome's doghouse. Good luck keeping your 360-3 humming...I'll vouch that its much easier than trying to track one down across the country.
Clueless Boomer, signing off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks