• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Assistance with ID of Air Spring

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know a lot of you may have experience with air bag helper springs on pickups, etc. Pictured is the air bag from the FMTV rear cab support system. Like everything else on my LMTV, it leaks. The -20 is no help in sourcing this as it is part of a larger assy that the p/n is FMTV specific. The bag has no numbers on it, but does have a Firestone caution decal. Any ideas where to buy this by itself? I know Eastern has the entire assy for the drivers side.

Edit: I drove out the pin it has through the top and out came a shock absorber. It would appear this is some kind of special thing. Air bags do not typically have shocks in the middle.

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both. The single stud you see in the picture is the bottom of the shock. It literally fell out. I don't understand what formed an air seal between the OD of the shock and the inner steel sleeve that the bag is cripmped to. I am going to reassemble it using JB Weld as a sealant at that interface and see if it still leaks.

D Foster

Hello, I am looking at your questions on the sleeve style air spring on your M1078 cab. I just purchased an M1078 and having the same problem with one of them leaking. Were you ever able to find just the sleeve air spring instead of purchasing the entire unit? Any help would be appreciated. Dennis (NJ)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, I am looking at your questions on the sleeve style air spring on your M1078 cab. I just purchased an M1078 and having the same problem with one of them leaking. Were you ever able to find just the sleeve air spring instead of purchasing the entire unit? Any help would be appreciated. Dennis (NJ)
Hello D,

Funny you should respond to this, I just now finally found the RH air spring assy reasonably on ebay. Eastern has the LH, which you can convert to a RH. There does not seem to be a commercial equivalent to this part. I hope I am proven wrong, because all of the 90's era trucks are going to need these replaced soon.

D Foster

Hello NDT,

Hello D,

Funny you should respond to this, I just now finally found the RH air spring assy reasonably on ebay. Eastern has the LH, which you can convert to a RH. There does not seem to be a commercial equivalent to this part. I hope I am proven wrong, because all of the 90's era trucks are going to need these replaced soon.
Thanks for getting back to me. My left side is leaking and I see that Eastern has the left sides. I would also be interested in purchasing the right side. Like you mention most of the 90s vehicles are probably due. Were there any left where you found the right side. Too bad we just can't purchase the sleeve spring without the entire unit. Dennis

coachgeo

Any updates on replacing Cab Shock parts or come across with reasonable supplier of complete replacement units?

Anyone gone a different route such as using an avaiable commercial truck product?

Duckworthe

I purchased mine from eastern also. I had to buy the whole thing and then disassemble and place the bag unit in my original housing. It was very easy. I took the info from the new bag and contacted firestone, they were absolute useless. Even giving them the numbers on the new unit. Mine leaked because the internal shock rusted out and that is what the bag it banded to making the seal. I found that moisture gets in there and just rots out the shock.
Hope this helps someone. I tried to attach picks of the new bag unit but its hard to get pics to attach on here. I will keep trying.
Eric

coachgeo

... I took the info from the new bag and contacted firestone, ...
Can you please offer up what was the numbers you found? Were there numbers on the internal shock as well or just on the bag? At nearly 600$ per finding an equivalent will help many

Last edited:

Duckworthe

IMAG1718.jpgIMAG1719.jpgIMAG1720.jpg

Here is what I have. I tried every number that is on the bag/bands. I didn't open it up to see if there was numbers on the shock obviously. But didn't see anything on the old shock either.

Duckworthe

Should have added that I forwarded these picks to them also. They just didn't reply to me about them. Guess my business was not worth their efforts. As for $600.00, I bought mine from eastern for under $300. Still to much I think. I hope it is ok to use there name on here. Would think it is ok since they are in the margins on the site.

coachgeo

Is there a controller/actuator that maintains or varies the amount of air in the unit? Checking manufacture of that might also give clues.

Here is more information on how to identify cab air springs. these link show locations of different Manufactures ID/part numbers on the units.

http://www.reaganindustries.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=148&Itemid=902

http://www.firestoneip.com/-/media/www/fsip/files/CommTruckTrailer/Aftermarket/Aftcat_smweb.pdf See PG 136 Firstone only referenced.

Last edited: