• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

At what point did the military rebuild older deuces

superbug

Have read some threads where the tachs and odometers have low hours and miles on older trucks and the trucks are in good shape. Is there a way to determine if and older truck was gone through and was there some scheduled rebuild cycle?

nf6x

Feral Engineer
The engine may have a tag which indicates it was rebuilt, but otherwise I agree with gimpyrobb. The odometer and hour meter readings might not even make sense together.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Vehicles that went through a total rebuild (refurbed engines, trannys, paint, etc) usually got zero hour and mile guages.

Sometimes a speedo or tach would just go bad and they would replace it with a new one.

Vehicles that idled a lot would have a disproportionate hour/mile ratio.

If they replaced an engine you might have a high milage truck with a low milage engine in it and never know it.

Never expect the hours/miles to be correct and you'll never be dissappointed.

My vin plate is stamped with SWA which im told stands for South West Asia rebuilt from the first gulf war. I put all of my vehicle information in CARNACs VIN info thread and according to his information my truck was rebuilt in 1994. My LDS engine was replaced new in 1988 before it went over seas, then the truck was sent to the 104th ordinance for rebuild after it returned in 1994. Mine has almost 52,000 miles and 1980 hours it was used in the DC national guard after it was rebuilt.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members-rides/80494-2012-vin-info-thread-new-post.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/...many-miles-hours-my-engine-rebuilt-ago-2.html

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There is a way you can look up the contract number's date range, or decode the vin stamed in the frame, but I don't know how to do that. Some time searching here on the site should get you the info though.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My last truck was rebuilt, they replaced almost everything, including the engine. When they did, they replaced the odometer, but not the hour meter, which still showed high hours.

I asked jatonka one time, since he's a M35 guru, about the true mileage of these trucks, and he said most trucks get several engines over their lives. He said you can bet money that most of our trucks have 200,000 or 300,000 miles on their frames, but you'd never know it because they are rebuilt all the time with new parts, and the odometer/hour meter will never reveal the true life of the vehicle.

Deuce007

So I would be able to find out what year my truck was before it was rebuilt into an m35a3? I already had Carnac find out the rebuild year and what the truck was previously used for.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I would be able to find out what year my truck was before it was rebuilt into an m35a3? I already had Carnac find out the rebuild year and what the truck was previously used for.
Maybe, maybe not. I heard for every 3 M35A2s turned into the rebuilt program, 2 M35A3s came out. Can you find out the originality of the truck frame of your A3 from the leftover A2 VIN #? Yes, IF it is still visible and hasn't been blasted or ground off. Also, all the rest of the parts for your truck might be from other rigs, or new parts altogether.

Bottom line is, if you own an A3, it's an amalgamachine. It's a 1992 BITSA truck - BITSA this, and BITSA that. Hope you find what you hope to, but you may end up with more questions than answers.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I've often wondered about the "3 M35A2 trucks turn into 2 M35A3” trucks anecdote. Is that just the average yield of good trucks that they get from the old ones turned in for the program, or is there some part of the third truck that they cut in half to use on the other two trucks, or what?