• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ATF Flow Direction

tgtaylor64

Changing the ATF tomorrow and want to disconnect one of the ATF cooler lines that goes into the radiator and connect to a hose to completely drain the fluid. Which one does it flow OUT of, the upper or lower line on the drivers side of the radiator?:grd:

DokWatson

You can't completely drain the fluid without dropping the transmission. The torque converter needs to maintain its fluid or you will destroy it, and theres no way of knowing how much you drained without being able to see it.

tgtaylor64

Just thought it would we way cleaner to get most of the ATF out before dropping the pan. Are you saying I could do damage draining the feed line? I will be able to see the fluid going into a graduated container.

rnd-motorsports

take the pan off clean it replace filter reinstall pan put about 4/5 qt of fluid in it remove trans line from radiator put hose on it then into pail start truck pump about 2 qts then shut off put 2 qts of new fluid in trans and repeat till you get clean fluid from hose about 8 qts should get you clean fluid! trans holds about 13 qts total with converter and that flushis the system the fluid is pumped from pan into converter then to cooler and back to trans real simple. :driver:

Buzz

I know most people dont want to take their trucks to a mechanic but this is something that may be worh it. For around 130-170 bucks you can have the trans flushed. I would recommend it, you will replace all the fluid this way. I work at a GM dealer and this is one of the best services we do. Our flush machine holds 16 quarts of fluid and when you start the flush most cars or trucks the fluid is black and when its done its like new. I do this to all my vehicles and once I get my M1009 on the road I will be flushing mine that way. Its a great way to change the fluids if you just drop the pan thats all your going to change ( a few qts.)

Barrman

Yes, a flush machine is the best way to get it done. However, if the truck is new to you, dropping the pan, replacing the filter, puting the pan back on, filling it back up with 1-2 gallons of fluid first should be done. Then flush.

Just a flush by itself can then be done 20K-50K miles later depending on your driving.

ohfisherman

you gotta watch the flush jobs though. transmission fluid has a lot of detergent in it. when you introduce new fluid to the transmission you risk wiping out the seals. i worked in a few shops that would not warn people and about a week later the transmission was puking from the front pump seal. just something to think about...