• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ATF for M35A3

BadMastard

That's a pretty good deal! I voted against changing mine to atf, when I heard from boyce equipment that half of the 15 a3's he has sold and changed the oil out for atf lost third gear. I like third gear. I think I'm going to stick with oil on this one!

It does make me wonder if there is some seal or clearance that the greater viscosity of oil works better for. Anyone know allison transmissions?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that would s*** to lose 3rd.
I read a lot of post and most were happy with the ATF.
Now I am not sure????? Oil or ATF???:(

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I changed to Dexron III and the results were very good. Much smoother shifting up and down, no shift hesitation. It was a very good decision for me.

kilness

I changed to Dexron III and the results were very good. Much smoother shifting up and down, no shift hesitation. It was a very good decision for me.
Same with mine. Sounds like 3rd was already starting to fail and the switch exasterbated the problem. I agree that on the number of trucks that had the failure is high but, these could have been driven with heavy loads in the .mil. Just my 2cents.

usmctopgun

Has anyone used the ATF (Dextron III) from Sam's?
I saw it for $24 for 12 qts.
I get the 5 gallon ATF/DEX 3 from Advance Auto. They often run it on sale for around $46. Use coupon code "A123" for $20 off $50 and it brings the cost of 5 gallons down to around $30. Then just select your local store and go pick it up. Best deal around for ATF in my opinion.

kilness

Haven't changed mine yet, sounds like you need three changes to get all the oil out at least.
Sounds right. I just finished my fourth drain and refill and it looked completely red coming out. Changed the filters and filled the external filter with a quart and the pan got 9. Seems to be right on the stick. Best thing I've done to my truck yet.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds right. I just finished my fourth drain and refill and it looked completely red coming out. Changed the filters and filled the external filter with a quart and the pan got 9. Seems to be right on the stick. Best thing I've done to my truck yet.
kilness, you said you changed the filters, is there more then just the external filter for the trans? Thanks!!

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a filter inside the Pan of the tranny. You have to drop the pan to change it

Rustygears, Thanks!! Did not know there was one inside the Tranny.
Will have to find that P/N I guess.

I found the P/N and gasket p/n, eriksmilitarysurplus.com has them.
[thumbzup]

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the TM and Allison both, you don't need to replace the gasket - it is re-usable. However, I would definitely recomend replacing the gasket. If the old one is re-used and leaks, you need to drain and drop the pan again, which is a pain.

Rustygears

Napa number for internal is ATP14959. External is Napa 1553 or 1551. Internal is also crossed to Fram PH3519A

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Napa number for internal is ATP14959. External is Napa 1553 or 1551. Internal is also crossed to Fram PH3519A
I think you may bemistaken about 1553 or 1551 being the external transmission filter. I use a NAPA 1268 on my Allison, which is the same number as the one I removed that the Army had installed. I believe 1553 and 1551 have a different threat pattern or at least that is what the NAPA dealer told me.