• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ATF mixed with diesel

My buddy is head diesel mechanic at a Ford garage and he saves all the used tranny fluid. He runs it straight is his power stroke. He said he mainly just pumps it through a couple filters before he uses it. Though he only runs it in the summertime not when it's cold out.

dittle

Even the synthetic stuff? I run regular stuff in Powerstroke but not the synthetic stuff. Considering putting some in the Deuce in the spring.

airmech

I did a quick calculation, so it may not be excact, but close enough. To bring it back to the 1980's 5000PPM diesel you would need 17.29 grams per 1.07 gallons, or roughly .5 lb per 15gal fill up. I would mix it with the 2-cycle oil for an easy pour in additive.

Pawnshop

Back in the 70's our "family truckster" was a Plymouth Satellite wagon with a 318 in it that had to be rebuilt at 50k due to an unbalanced crankshaft, When we got the car back the mech told us to burn a qt of fresh ATF every other tank, that motor lasted 200k before my little brother trashed it. I use ATF to clean firearms, cuts carbon and lubricates enough for my AR.

beanman1

i tried the 2 cycle oil thing today i mixed 1 oz of oil to every gallon of diesel th rig ran quieter and a little power increase think i will do it from now on i have a 86 cucv m1009 56k on the clock

Westex

I've been running the Wal Mart 2 cycle TCW-3 oil in my Dodge dually 1 ton for over 3 years now. Still the same injector pump at approaching 170,000 miles. I also add some Marvel Mystery Oil in just to keep things clean. I do the same with my Deuce when running straight diesel.

emr

With all the things guys are burning in these trucks it is a big NO problem , and it can only help, but there are better products today that do more things than just lub to help your truck, but atf has been used for many years...

topgun217

Ok, I'm new to the diesel engine, so I'm a little confused? Can't I just go to the gas station and pump diesel into my 1009 when or if i get it home? or will I need to get two cycle oil every time I fill up?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I'm new to the diesel engine, so I'm a little confused? Can't I just go to the gas station and pump diesel into my 1009 when or if i get it home? or will I need to get two cycle oil every time I fill up?
Yes, you can just "fill her up" right out of the pump. While it's not a bad idea to run an additive lots of people run stright diesel.

Pawnshop

The USLD that the EPA makes us use these days is much "drier" (less lubricious) than the diesel the motor was designed to run, so the end result is that the motor and its injector pump will not last as long. I want my M1009 to run forever so I add extra lubrication to my fuel, either Opti-lube or bio diesel, if I can't fine either I will do the 2 stroke oil.

airmech3839

I am running, in my deuce, 100% WMO cocktail out of a buddies oil change shop....I have a pump with filter and I keep the tube off the bottom about an inch or two in a 1000 gallon tank. He said they have trans fluid, gas, oil, powersteering fluid and coolant in there. As long as I keep the hose off the bottom the coolant wont be a problem. I have run it now for a couple of tanks and only thing I notice is the smell and harder to start when cold. just started adding a little deisel to thin up a little to make it easier to start.

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alot of these engines were forced to burn JP when they were in service. And that is drier than ULSD. Not to mention the #1 diesel yall get up north when it gets cold. There has been alot of discussion if the DB2 pump could handle this fuel when they started selling it a few years ago.
There are different models of these pumps and the later ones got the metal advance ring instead of the plastic. That being said. There is nothing wrong with adding lube to your fuel. I use lucas myself with great results. Rember using the wrong oil is better than using no oil in most cases. And as they say on TV. Your results may vary.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks