• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ATF red dye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelandcanvas

Do the revenuers just dip tanks in the East, South, and mid West? I have never herard of this being done in the West, but I am going to start running Red Diesel in my genset.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of enlightenment would you like? They (the military) are a government entity, they don't need to worry about using road taxed fuel. You, as an individual, on the other hand do need to use road taxed fuel.

uriss

Fifteen years ago while running my rig through a Missouri DOT check point got caught with red dye in my fuel tanks. I admit here that I poured it in because the lubrication was good for my older truck. Dot jackbooted thugs were all over me with fines and such. I went to court with this defense. "Your Honor, I spent the night at this truck stop down the road and since my fuel tanks don't lock, someone played a dirty trick on me and poured something red into my tank". Case dismissed.

85CUCVtom

What kind of trucks do the DOT guys stop? Only bigger trucks like tractor trailers, deuces and 5 tons?

Would I be at risk for getting stopped and my tank dipped in my M1009 just because its a diesel?

Can they just stop you for any reason? Wouldn't you have to make a moving violation, speeding, or another reason for them to stop you?

wilogger

Police need to have "probable cause" to stop you, like no seat belt, fail to signal, thats my understanding. My M1008 had red dyed fuel in it when I bought it, I got rid of the fuel right away, it's not worth it.

jaxsof

DOT regulated vehicles (those requiring or otherwise having a DOT number) can be stopped for random safety inspections at any time.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fifteen years ago while running my rig through a Missouri DOT check point got caught with red dye in my fuel tanks. I admit here that I poured it in because the lubrication was good for my older truck. Dot jackbooted thugs were all over me with fines and such. I went to court with this defense. "Your Honor, I spent the night at this truck stop down the road and since my fuel tanks don't lock, someone played a dirty trick on me and poured something red into my tank". Case dismissed.
So you lied?
That sounds like perjury and you just admitted it in a public forum.

What kind of trucks do the DOT guys stop? Only bigger trucks like tractor trailers, deuces and 5 tons?

Would I be at risk for getting stopped and my tank dipped in my M1009 just because its a diesel?

Can they just stop you for any reason? Wouldn't you have to make a moving violation, speeding, or another reason for them to stop you?
I haven't seen one in awhile but they used to have fuel check roadblocks and would dip every diesel truck going down the road. I also had my truck checked at a construction site, he checked every diesel truck on the site. Then there was a couple times they've stopped at my business and checked all our diesel trucks. The times he stopped at my business he asked permission to check the trucks. I didn't have anything to hide so I told him to go ahead. I have no idea what would have happened if I refused.

I don't like paying taxes but the fact is that everybody pays road taxes when they buy gas or diesel. Running dyed fuel (on road) is tax evasion plain and simple and we all know how the government feels about that.

Ford Mechanic

Sounds like Uncle Sam just trying to swindle people out of money.

I'm not using tranny fluid anymore after reading all this.

Mix it with a little waste engine oil, it'll turn it all black. I'm getting alot of trans oil but the few oil changes that are going into the bucket turn it all black.

Don't forget just using any type of waste oil is very similar to using red dyed fuel due to your still not paying road tax on it. The DOT's just conditioned to looking for red fuel. It's just a little paper work to get your belnder's license here in NC, and then pay your $0.37 a gallon to the state once a month so that your doing it the legal way. Good news is that "minor blending" is exempt from federal tax as long as you'r consuming less than 400 gallons a quarter. I'll post the law, it's on page 4 3rd line (Exclusion)

View attachment 26_cfr_48_4081_1_IRS_fuel_blender_laws PDF.pdf

uriss

Yea dipstick so go find as cop. Such a lawyer as you can figure out how to get around the statute of limitations. Trying to help a brother out is beyond some people. Geesh!

svd dragunov

So whats the law regarding how much of your fuel can be an additive? Even small amounts of used motor oil will turn your fuel black. I realize they are specificly looking for the red, but what would they say if it was black?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So whats the law regarding how much of your fuel can be an additive? Even small amounts of used motor oil will turn your fuel black. I realize they are specificly looking for the red, but what would they say if it was black?
It's up to you to prove you paid taxes , black fuel would most likely be considered un-taxed without a blenders license and records of mileage and amount of blend fuel used . They would also want records of quarterly taxes being paid .

Last edited:

svd dragunov

It's up to you to prove you paid taxes , black fuel would most likely be considered un-taxed without a blenders license and records of mileage and amount of blend fuel used . They would also want records of quarterly taxes being paid .
or tell them its just old. ive run some old diesel that was as black as any wmo mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks