• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ATF / transmission fluid in geared hubs?

hmmwv-newbie

While I was doing the first oil change on my new-to-me truck I decided to pull off the 1" bolt off one of the geared hubs in the front and see how high the fluid level was. To my surprise I got a ton of fluid pouring out as soon as I removed the plug, and it smells and looks like ATF (red) mixed with gear oil. Is there a leak somewhere causing contamination? The transmission level was okay when I checked it.

Is it possible the govplanet people just fill everything up haphazardly with random fluids before selling these off?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a prime example why everyone should change ALL the fluids and filters on any HMMWV they get from auction, of course now that you checked you know you have a problem and what to do about it before it becomes a BIG problem.
By-passing the cooler is easy, slide under it with a flashlight and look at the back of the transfer case, the cooler lines are easy to spot, just hook the two lines together and connect the cooler to itself to keep contamination out of the TC, use 3/8 transmission cooler hose with enough loop to not be pinched restricting flow to the transmission.

sue

While I was doing the first oil change on my new-to-me truck I decided to pull off the 1" bolt off one of the geared hubs in the front and see how high the fluid level was. To my surprise I got a ton of fluid pouring out as soon as I removed the plug, and it smells and looks like ATF (red) mixed with gear oil. Is there a leak somewhere causing contamination? The transmission level was okay when I checked it.

Is it possible the govplanet people just fill everything up haphazardly with random fluids before selling these off?
Geared hubs and “vampire” I’m assuming transfer case “vampire” ? Is it April fools day already?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW you can also contaminate the geared hubs, diffs, transmission and transfer case with diesel from a bad fuel pump, diesel is not a very good lubricant, as I have found out first hand.....
One reason I only run high end electric fuel pumps.