• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Atlanta area, M1009 assistance needed

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Anyone available this weekend in the Atlanta, Ga area?
To provide a few minutes of assistance minor repair on my M1009.

I would do it myself, but the last time I tried, it was very difficult.

I just need a 2nd pair of strong hands, and a crow/pry bar,
but I will do most of the work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

CJ

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a headlight out?

CycleJay

Hello Doghead,

No, I need to replace the Gen 2 alternator belt..
I just need someone to pull the alternator back and keep it tight,
while I tighten down the bolts..

Thanks,

CJ

By the way, Doghead, I plan on doing your starter relay mod, because I hear how good it is,
but I will make it so it is not permanent.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be able to do that with a large screwdriver in the top hole of the alt bracket, with one hand, and a wrench or ratchet in the other hand and tighten the top adjustment bolt. Then tighten the lower bolt last.

Don't over tighten the belt or you will have premature belt failure or alternator bearing failure.

help won't hurt, but definitely can be done solo.

CycleJay

Hello Dog,
I understand, and you are right, but the last time I did that, It did not go well..
That is all.. No harm in asking.

Thanks

CJ

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should have titled this thread, Burgers and Belts!

Share a burger and change some belts!

CycleJay

Thanks Appalacious,
I have to admit I am not the stronest of persons, so as rare as it is.
Sometimes I could use a little assistance. Thats all. No harm in asking as I said.

Good night,

CJ

P.s. If anyone here ever needs any help with anything,
they can count me in, unless I am working at the time,
or they are just too far away.

123mack

Do just like DH said and give it a try, you dont have to be real strong. I have a prosthetic arm ( left below elbow amputation). I service all my vehicles myself with little help, including bearing jobs on my m-816 wrecker. It can be very satisfying attacking and overcoming a problem.

CycleJay

Hi Guys,

Okay, I gave it a shot and managed to get the new alternator belt on Gen 2,
and thanks to a really long metal bar I borrowed from a neighbor, since my pry bar was missing.
It gave me the leverage I needed to tighten the belt, and it seems to be okay,
not sure, since I am no expert.

Now the gen 2 light is no longer flicker, but now the Gen 1 light is coming on steady,
so I will tighten it tomorrow (Sunday), and see what happens..

Thanks, good night,

CJ

unaffiliated

Maybe you should have titled the thread "Burgers, BEER and Belts". I tightened my Gen II belt as tight as I could get it and the belt still warbles on the long side. I will deal with it after I rebuild my Genny's. Don't want to seize a bearing from over tightening the belt on an old Genny. On another note: I used the belt sizes listed in the Cheat Sheet thread and they are all almost to the end of the adjustment range. I think next time I will get shorter belts for all three. I like the adjustment to be in the middle of the range with new belts. P.S. Gen I belt is easily adjusted by putting a big wrench on the square boss at the top and use it to move the Genny and then tighten the bolt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks