• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Atomic Annie and Two Prime Movers

avc8130

I was doing some research, and I realized I've actually visited 5 of the 8 known survivors on display around the US. I guess I need to go out and "collect" the other 3 some day.

ac

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But does the 4.2 million grains of projectile weight equate to 58.3 million ft/lbs of muzzle energy, or should you figure propellant weight to calculate muzzle energy? Or do you factor both. I'm a reloading dummy.
The weight of the propellant has nothing to do with the calculation of the energy. You are only concerned with the velocity at which the projectile is leaving the muzzle and the weight of the projectile. The only other factor is the constant of gravity. You are looking at how much energy it takes to move that 600 Lb projectile up to 2500 Feet per second.

The numbers are hard to imagine which makes this topic real interesting. To put it into a perspective I can understand better, would that be equal to lifting 4,859 deuces?
To put it in a more common perspective related to shooting. Your standard 5.56x45 NATO round from your AR-15 or M-16 has a muzzle energy of 1250 Ft/Lb, your standard 7.62x51 NATO (.30 cal) round has a muzzle energy of 2550 Ft/Lb. Bear in mind that the muzzle energy is directly related to felt recoil (with offsets for muzzle brakes, recoil pads and the like).

jwaller

The 5ton truck looks like the honest john missile system. Seco has a number of these trucks in their yard being cut up for parts. They couldn't use them as they were so they were all being parted out. Neat trucks but useless in the civi world.

gunboy1656

There is a thread on here that shows a pic of a rear prime mover for the 280MM gun for sale. Be warned need some deep pockets.

It also has the drive train listed.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 5ton truck looks like the honest john missile system. Seco has a number of these trucks in their yard being cut up for parts. They couldn't use them as they were so they were all being parted out. Neat trucks but useless in the civi world.
SECO has Honest John's? Where? I thought they had to be totally destroyed before release?

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a thread on here that shows a pic of a rear prime mover for the 280MM gun for sale. Be warned need some deep pockets.

It also has the drive train listed.
At Sam Winers ...

Attachments

Last edited:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's been years (decades) since I was out by YPG. They added the rocket launcher since then.

303rdGLCM NM

The gun and movers were at the Atomic Museum on Kirtland AFB when I got there in 1989 and looked just as good then. The Museum moved off base to make access easier for civilians to get to with all the added security in the 90's. The museum is a great way to spend an afternoon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks