• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Attaching a new cable to the front winch on a deuce

Buderwuder

I bought a winch, and it came without the cable. I have looked and looked and cannot find any information on how the cable actually attaches to the winch. I have a clevis for the business end, but do not know what the other end is supposed to be like and how it attaches. Any help in this matter would surely be appreciated.

V/R
Buderwuder

Guyfang

Staff member
Its only been about 40 years since I did this, but if the picture is like your winch, you stick the cable, (proper name is wire rope) into the hole in the drum, and secure it with set screw #2. The procedure is in the -10 TM, I am sure. Would help if you told us what kind of truck. Model and such.
1604613290274.png

Buderwuder

[/QUOTE
Sorry, I thought t
Its only been about 40 years since I did this, but if the picture is like your winch, you stick the cable, (proper name is wire rope) into the hole in the drum, and secure it with set screw #2. The procedure is in the -10 TM, I am sure. Would help if you told us what kind of truck. Model and such.
View attachment 817379
Sorry, I thought, by putting Deuce in the title, I thought the truck type would be obvious, and posting on the Deuce Forum would leave no doubt. Anyway, it is a M35A2. I have seen the picture and read the 4 step procedure in the -10 manual, but it to me does not seem so clear. When you put the wire rope in to the drum, how do the set screws prevent the wire rope from coming off the drum. Thanks in advance.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Winches seldom have a positive mechanical hookup for the rope, because if they went all the way out it would reverse start winding on again.

The screw just holds it in place while you wind it up. After 6 or 8 turns, it cannot be pulled loose off the drum.

In use, never let it unwind past the last few turns and you'll be just fine. Winching is best done with two people: one to work the throttle, the other to watch the winch.

DDG

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Sorry, I thought, by putting Deuce in the title, I thought the truck type would be obvious, and posting on the Deuce Forum would leave no doubt. Anyway, it is a M35A2. I have seen the picture and read the 4 step procedure in the -10 manual, but it to me does not seem so clear. When you put the wire rope in to the drum, how do the set screws prevent the wire rope from coming off the drum. Thanks in advance.
Set screw has pressure from the cable to keep from walking out. Set screw is enough to keep it from pulling out. However you are not supposed to run a winch out to a point it has less than 1 layer of wrap on it.

If you don't like the set screw then use a cable clamp or crimp over itself

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I bought a winch, and it came without the cable. I have looked and looked and cannot find any information on how the cable actually attaches to the winch. I have a clevis for the business end, but do not know what the other end is supposed to be like and how it attaches. Any help in this matter would surely be appreciated.

V/R
Buderwuder
Some of the very old 40's and 50's vintage winches have a place where rather than a hole and set screw - there is a place for a Crosby Clamp on the side of the winch drum to secure it. As recommended by simp5782 ,even if you do have a clamp rather than a set screw - you want to leave a "full drum" of wire rope on the drum. That keeps stupid stuff from happening!

Guyfang

Staff member
I am not a "real" truck guy. Worked on them, but thats not my thing. The reason I asked for more info is that there are several different kinds of Deuce N' a Half. The A2 and A3 come to mind right off. I thought there might be a difference between models. No big deal

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as the G742 series trucks go, they are very much the same.

Major differences exist as follows:

Gas (early) or Multifuel (Hercules Hypercycle) engines
3 variants of Multifuel engines.
Three different wheelbases.
Sprag or air-shift transfer case.

And the latest M35A3:

Caterpillar Diesel.
Allison automatic transmission.
Central tire inflation system.
Super single tires/wheels.

DG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks