• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Auction newbs

ranchhopper

Why is it nowdays there can be over thirty identical lots and some dope bids against you on one of two lots you bid on with fifteen more not even having the first bid placed on it yet? Are some people just that dense or is the autobid feature just working overtime its no wonder prices are so high lately.

Last edited:

gunboy1656

Just a guess, but I would bet they figure someone else did the work and checked it out therefore bid on the better of the bunch, so it must be worth it.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen that happen a lot. I think it must be new bidders that don't have a clue, bidding against each other.

ranchhopper

I might understand if we were talking about trucks as gunboy1656 stated letting someone else do the homework but its just parts every lot identical high bidder # usually means new guy.

ranchhopper

Its nice to have spare parts on hand especially since the OEM stuff if going to dry up leaving aftermarket junk to take its place. Now that its relatively cheap and I for one do not like supporting china.I guess its like having money in the bank an anology my wife cant quite understand.

gunboy1656

Just show her dealer prices for parts. then explain prices are only going to go up from here. That what I do with my wife. Pay 50 now or 100 later.

ranchhopper

I can explain things to her but if it doesnt show up as a number in the bank account she doesnt understand all I can say if I die first there is going to be one huge garage sale.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The new guys are too dumb to know if they click that box that says "other items listed just like this lot", they will find a cheaper auction.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Last year I bought a M916 from Redstone.....I had previewed all the trucks in the lot and know which ones were keepers and which were stinkers.

I put a min bid on every truck so I could watch the bid history of every vehicle.

The day of the auction I waited till 15 min before the aution ended to put in a bid on the best truck....it went too high so I went to my fall back truck.....outbid again.....went to 3rd choice and got it for a hair over 3 grand.

I continued to watch the auction and to my amazement the three vehicles that I knew had bad engines or transmissions in them were extended out......someone got into a bid war on them and ran them up to almost 4500 each.:cookoo:

After the aution ended I went into the bid history and checked the bidder numbers....the dumass that won all three of the stinker trucks had bid on other trucks (including the one I got) and had paid more for the junkers than he might have got a good one for if he had stayed in the game.

The GL guy told me that when he picked them up he was pissed when he found out the engines were FUBAR'ed in two of them and the tranny was trashed on the other one.

Some people's kids.:roll:

Sirblissfull

So what Wreckerman is saying

" I always bid on the best stuff you should only bid on what I do! "

Right?

Would seem to me if I got 3 trucks 2 with bad engines 1 with a bad trans I would swap a good trans to a good engine. Then start shopping for re-builders to fix my other trucks.

Annoying but if you did not do your due diligence then suck it up and move on.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
So what Wreckerman is saying

" I always bid on the best stuff you should only bid on what I do! "

Right?
No....that is not what I'm saying.

I was pointing out that people tend to get wrapped up in an auction while bidding blind on something they have never seen.

I was watching the bid history and I knew who was bidding against me on certain trucks.

If this Bozo had hung in on some trucks he quit bidding on he would have gotten running trucks in better condidtion for less money.

At the last minute (after the bids closed on the good trucks) he and another bidder went head to head on the junkers apparently scared that neither was going to get anything.

This guy paid over 1500 per truck more for junkers than I paid for a good running one......the range of winning bids on the rest of the trucks was 3400-3700.....high dollar was for a truck with less than 1000 miles on it.

If he was lucky and made two trucks out of the three he might have made money on them if that was his intent.

Or maybe he was just willing to pay premium for parts trucks.

paulfarber

I put in my max bid an walk away. To me a truck is worth $X. If its worth $X+$Y to you then have at it.

Auctions are just about every week.

Sirblissfull

Ahh Richard your no fun.

I over paid on one of my vehicles because it was the only one I had seen for months. Then over 30 of them sold in the next 4 months for less then I paid all closer to New Mexico.

If I had not already been planning on heading that direction for a road trip I would have waited for one closer. As it stands the vehicle is worth every penny.

Unless I have to have something I am going to submit my max bid and leave it alone, I do not need the excitement that bad.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I learned my lesson during one auction.....I was afraid I would not get one so I auto bid my top dollar on a bunch of trucks.....I ended up buying four deuces for 1000 each at Little Rock, Ark.

Fortunantly I had a big limit on my plastic and could pay for all of them......but then there was the logistics of getting them all back to AL. That was an adventure in it's self.

Now I pretty much do the auto bid thing on one truck and have a couple of back up trucks just in case. Too much pucker factor in auto bidding a bunch.

flyxpl

I have seen some of the worst lots go for big money because they went into overtime and the better lots had already closed . As thier are fewer items to bid on the remaining few seem to go high .

Just during this week there were a few A2's at Camp Beauregard, which is only an hour from me. I previewed them at the beginning of the week, and knew which ones were the good ones from the rust buckets.

I have to believe there are people out there with money and apparently no time to do some investigation on what they are buying. Most of those trucks were in pretty rough shape, a couple seemed to be OK as long as the bidding didn't get too high.

Well, you guessed it, it got out of hand. I walked after seeing what some people were willing to bid.............. If these guys are in business to sell trucks, I don't know how they are gonna make any money..........

LC

onegmjack

ranchhopper I agree with you,I was bidding on a CD-DVD scratch remover kit on ebay a few year ago,they were about 10 or 12,so I bid up to the buy in now about $3,the old I am going to out bid you or die bid$4.I just went back and bought one at buy it now.Only if they had open their eye they had 9 or 10 they could have bought cheaper,I guess the I just got to beat you is the name of the game for some people.I laughed all the way to pay pal to make my payment.:grin: