• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Auction Rating

turbo15479

When a generator is listed on an auction site in condition "H" is it a sure thing it is beyond repair or has problems? One is listed as this and has 4.7 hours on it. I read we cannot post about auctions but I am just asking a general question about auction items. If I am in the wrong please let me know. Bruce

Rapracing

In my experience, no! I purchased an 003 with that rating. Cleaned up the fuel tank, new oil and filters & added new batteries and it fired right up. Three glow plugs test good and one bad so I have to replace that yet.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Short answer: condition codes mean nothing.

Anything you bid on from that site, you should bid on as if it's scrap. If it isn't scrap, you won. If it's scrap, you broke even.

Do a search here on SS for "condition codes". Most of the threads discuss vehicles, but you should read them all, because the information is the same. A lot of good posts by people like Emmado22 who know the system.

Isaac-1

Like other's have said condition codes are nearly meaningless, and is based on the paperwork that came with the unit when it was turned in, not any type of evaluation done by GL or DRMO. I have bought many things from GL that were listed H, HX , etc.that were either fully functional or easy to repair.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought one with just over 600 hours with H rating. Towed it home and then checked the oil and smelled the fuel tank. Turned it on and hit the starter. Started right up and now with it's full service is ready for duty.

I picked up an XM818 rated H7. Checked it over. Changed the batteries, fixed a few air leaks, then drove it 2700 miles pulling a trailer behind.
Ratings are a bad way to judge government surplus unless new in unopened original container.

Jim Timber

My understanding of the condition codes:

If your unit is only using Freightshaker XYZ's it's not possible to repair a Mack ZXY into deployable condition. It's now an H even if it's still new in the crate.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The picture in my avatar is the driver's door on a M813A1 w/w that was coded "H". The truck wouldn't start because there were no batteries in the battery box. 4 new batteries and it fired up on the first engagement of the starter. Truck stopped fine, found the parking brake cable broken. Truck runs like top today.
JC

Last edited:

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that once the rating gets beyond "H", like H7 that the unit is really bad. I don't have a lot of experience with the codes, but the H7's that I've seen truly warranted the label.

The one and only "A" unit that I got I would classify as a "G"

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The picture in my avatar is the driver's door on a M813A1 w/w that was coded "H". The truck wouldn't start because there were no batteries in the battery box. 4 new batteries and it fired up on the first engagement of the starter. Truck stopped fine, found the parking brake cable broken. Truck runs like top today.
JC
I had just the opposite, my truck was listed as starts, runs and drives in the GL auction notes. I got there and was told, they didn't say it stops. Brakes didn't work, and I later found huge chucks of gears in my transfer case. I replaced all the broken parts, and it's a great truck, just noting that the GL description was deceptive.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike929,
I see you have an '87 Air force deuce, I have one shipping this week out of GA. It was H coded, the brakes are inop.
How was the condition of yours? Was that the problem truck?
JC

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike929,
I see you have an '87 Air force deuce, I have one shipping this week out of GA. It was H coded, the brakes are inop.
How was the condition of yours? Was that the problem truck?
JC
Yes my 87 was the truck in question. It is in excellent condition, but the brakes needed work. I mainly bought new components and replaced as needed. I saved the old stuff to rebuild at my leisure (and they are still sitting in my garage waiting to be rebuilt. :)

After replacing all the fluids I found chunks of a bearing cage in my transfer case, and thus replaced the entire transfer case with NOS. BTW, it actually worked, with no noticeable issues, but seemed to have a bearing that was coming apart.

My 87 is now in great shape and starts as soon as my finger gets close to the button. I think you will be happy with yours. :)

BTW, when inspecting the front bearings, one side was practically new, but I re-greased everything as a learning experience (at least on a deuce). The other side was like new on the outside, but after digging into it, the grease was old on the inside. It was like someone started the maintenance but stopped before finishing it. I had to replace the bearings that didn't get new grease due to some marks on the races. Mainly wanted to point this out if you pop the cap and see new grease. That does not mean it is new grease behind that first bearing...

Beyond the broken items, the truck is in great shape. I think you will be very happy with your Air Force truck.

To bring back on topic. Don't trust anything on the GL site. Even the pictures may not be from the correct lot you are bidding on. I had that happen when buying my 1972. I bought it based on pictures that turned out not to be of the truck I was bidding on. It turned out okay, the truck started up with a jump and checked out okay, but it was not the truck in the pictures that I downloaded from the auction. I guess even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once and a while. :)

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike,
I've had my ups and downs with GL. Mostly ups, a couple downs. I'll let you know how the 87 turns out, I have a complete winch setup and complete m66 weapons station that will be installed. The truck will go up on stands and bearing/brakes will be be IRAN.
JC