• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Auction Watching

2deuce

I Thought I'd ask a question about Gov't Liquidation since alot of you guys here have dealt with them. Are they in the habit of pulling auctions that are posted but the bidding hasn't begun. I thought I'd watch a few things that looked interesting that were to start soon but when I came back a week or 2 later it wasn't there. Is this common? Thanks, Greg

westfolk

Allot of times things are listed in the wrong catagory. Sometimes it stays there until the end. Example I found an M35A2C tailgate listed with the generators. It stayed there and I got it. But stuff does get pulled and then relisted in the correct catagory later. A few times things have been pulled never to be seen again. However that does not mean it didn't get relisted. It may get relisted in the wrong catagory again and stay there. If you don't know when and "where" it was placed it'll pass you by and never know it.

cmech2003

The majority of times when something is pulled, it is due to the item being requested by a local municipality or other military organization, items are available to federal down to local government first, and if it's not taken then it makes the auction.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2deuce said:
I Thought I'd ask a question about Gov't Liquidation since alot of you guys here have dealt with them. Are they in the habit of pulling auctions that are posted but the bidding hasn't begun. I thought I'd watch a few things that looked interesting that were to start soon but when I came back a week or 2 later it wasn't there. Is this common? Thanks, Greg
I know they used to monitor the MV list, so I'd imagine they watch some of these sites too, just to see what people are interested in. A while back, they listed an XM410E1 8x8 in a regular sale. The bidding got up to over $7K and they pulled it before the bidding ended in order to relist it in a sale of it's own with better advertising and hype (and inflated tires and better pictures).

I have also seen them relist an item earlier in the sale list so that it comes up on the first page if you browse by sale. I'm pretty sure they monitor if an item has a lot of "watchers" before the bidding and then they move them to another item number that will come up on the first page. Example: There was a nice M813 at Meade that I was watching 3 weeks before it opened. It was a clean winch truck and I'm sure plenty of others were watching it too. Anyway, let's say it was item 3246 in the sale. One day, about a week before the sale, it disappeared from my watch list. I browsed by location and, low and behold, there it was with an item number of 3. This has happened on more than one occassion. Funny thing is that I wouldn't think it would work as well as they hope, since the item essentially disappears from your watch list...

I guess the watch list is a convenience, but it's also their way to know what people think is worth watching.... Might be better off just writing them down....

westfolk

RE: Re: Auction Watching

It's funny you should that about writing them down. I keep a list "on paper" of what I'm after by base, and description. And you're right about moving things around. Many times in the heat of battle at an auction end my list has saved me by being able to make quick decisions as to which truck to let go of and what one to keep bidding on. Sometimes that 15 minute rule helps me. Especially using my lowly dial-up connection that works at the speed of sludge.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Auction Watching

me too, i was ready to bid on a truck in west florida, 5 ton cargo with the single tires. just diappeared, i send an email but never got a response from them