• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Auctions observations

hwcurtice

So, I'm looking at the various large trucks that are being auctioned off on GL, wish they would do some in Washington, but I notice that most, if not all, have either a pallet or a drip pan under them.

Does this concern you, if it has a drip pan, or make you feel better, if there is a wooden pallet under them? I'm guessing the wooden pallet is for moving them with a forklift and trying, yes trying, not to damage the vehicle while doing so.

Of course, those with flat tires worry me. Those with what looks like fluid leaks coming of the hubs worry me too. The ones with missing engines, well....

gunboy1656

Drip pan is not a real worry as most of the times it is a military requirement to put a drip pan down. Never really figured out the pallet thing, but I would assume it was for a similar reason.

Seeing the fork damage, I doubt they take the time to lift using a pallet.

Oh, and I have never see an MV that didn't leak, unless it was out of fluid.

jhooah

Perhaps: Put a pallet down to stick the drip pan on, easier than bending down to crawl under there, etc for a guy riding a forklift. Then he only has to remove the pallet as he's riding by later...
WAW

wiggall

Ft. Lewis will have a few 5 tons go through, but the 2.5 tons were perty much moved through in 08. One will show up once in a while, but they are mostly parts trucks.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a requirement to have the drip pan. The funny thing to me is the pans are actually baking pans.

mcmullag

not daily drivers

It's a guv-mint thang, those drip pans and pallets. If you are lucky, in warm weather, the trucks don't leak as much, also if you run them regularily, they seem to not leak and drip as much. Seems like all the gaskets and seals harden up or are dry and not sealing in the best way because the trucks sit idle so much of the time.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess some of these babies are still in diapers.

The last truck I picked up both leaked from the crank seals and was drained. Hows that for being determined?

Rick

DieselBob

Kind of like radial engines. If it doesn't leak there is something wrong with it. Although my deuce doesn't leak much but I haven't put many miles on it yet.

41cl8m5

I saw a GL worker move a truck with a fork truck. Having the palet under the front axle of the truck is, I guess convenant. Always wondered why there were no chalks and the brakes were off. Of course the GL lots I have seen are mostly level

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The DRMO guys were about as hard on driveshafts as the GL crews are,used to
make me sick to my stomach . LOLaua popacom / BILL in KY.:cookoo:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks