• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Auto Hertz Mechanism for 803A Genset

4WD

Anyone have knowledge of a electromechanical device that would automatically change hertz/rpm to 60 as load changes?

I remember seing a thread or post some time back on this. Someone had set up a motor control on the hertz knob such that it had hertz input and would change knob postion to keep hertz at sixty as loaded changed.

Thanks Eric

Ray70

What are you trying to accomplish with this project? Are you looking for something that would maintain Hz more accurately than the mechanical governor, to keep the Hz precisely stable with no droop at all?
Only asking because a well adjusted governor should keep you rock solid up to around 50% load and within about +/- 1 hz at from full load to no load.
Either way you are talking about adjusting engine speed as a result of load, so I'm not sure you will find something that can react fast enough to compensate for the droop of an instantaneous high load, without a major undertaking. IF your idea is to eliminate that initial dip when the load changes drastically?

4WD

Keep hertz at 60 regardless of load.

Read differing opinions but most say its bad for to be above or below 60 more than 2 hertz. When my ac's go on and off and particularly when both are on it can drop 2-3. Set in question is performing to spec I believe as far as handling average loads.

It doesn't need to be instantaneous but within 2 -5 seconds. Its a decent walk to check on genset just to adjust hertz.

Ray70

Have you performed the governor droop adjustment procedure in the TM?
and also do you set your initial no load Hz at 61 - 61.5 per the Operation manual? if so you should have no problem keeping the Hz within spec.
With both AC units running, what is your % Load? if you are around 75% there is no reason you should droop by 3Hz at that point.
You shouldn't see that much droop unless you are up over 100% and approaching the machine's limit.
Do you know how the machine performs at 100% load or higher? Can it take up to 133% briefly without bogging down to the point of no return?
I would not worry about finding another way to control your frequency, I think we need to take a closer look at your machine and get it performing correctly, then you will have no problems.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There have been a few sets surplussed out with electronic governors on them (field retrofitted by DRS Fermont)... an attempt to digitize the 80x class (inbetween testing before AMMPS were fielded basically). There are concerns about bushing wear (issued by Lister) in the fuel delivery system that would wear out prematurely with such a changeover.

I would definitely go through and check everything Ray said. If you start your machine at 60hz before load, run it up at 61.5-62hz unloaded and you should see it be moved backwards at full load to where you want.

Most modern appliaces will take a large range of hertz inputs with no issue.

4WD

Ray I set it at 61 when its a 25 %. Yesterday was first time it has run after some PM work on it.

Ran from 25% to 110% load. When it was at 110% it dropped to 58 - 58.5. I adjusted it back to 60. Let it run at that to remove residue in muffler.

The load got that high with a 2000 watt aux heater switch on in garage to get unit to burn off unburnt whatevers.

With both ac on it runs 75 -78 %. The Aux heater along with small window unit cycling on pushed it to 110.

The 3 htz drop is from set at 61 at 25 % going all the way to 110%. I would guess this is normal. I will look at the droop tweak.

4WD

Which publication is the droop pm listed. I have several pdf's on the machine and if you could point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

THanks

Ray70

I think a slight tweak to the governor sensitivity will get you right where you want to be, but a 3hz droop at 110% doesn't sound that bad to me, but you may be able to get it a little better.
Follow the TM Kurt referenced and go as far as you can without causing the generator speed to hunt up and down when adding and dropping loads.

nextalcupfan

Ray I set it at 61 when its a 25 %. Yesterday was first time it has run after some PM work on it.

Ran from 25% to 110% load. When it was at 110% it dropped to 58 - 58.5. I adjusted it back to 60. Let it run at that to remove residue in muffler.

The load got that high with a 2000 watt aux heater switch on in garage to get unit to burn off unburnt whatevers.

With both ac on it runs 75 -78 %. The Aux heater along with small window unit cycling on pushed it to 110.

The 3 htz drop is from set at 61 at 25 % going all the way to 110%. I would guess this is normal. I will look at the droop tweak.
Losing 3Hz is not within spec.
Spec is 1.8 Hz from 0% to 100%

I go through this in my thread here if you want to take a look.

4WD

Thanks for all the advice and pub # guys. (y)

Just finished replacing return fuel line, tank top return bung, installed hushmat under top lid, inspected fuel filter, drained water seperator and a general cleaning. Needs a cover.

I will get to work on it after a short break. All in all its running really well.

Guyfang

Staff member
The reason that the small gen sets do not have an electro governing system is simply because a few hertz loss is not that big a deal. This gen set drives some systems that are very high tech, radar and ADA systems for instance, and its simply not worth the time and effort. And cost.

Properly adjusted gen sets shout not have much, if any freq loss.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks